Wheel well vent openings in fenders?

Gil

This is a novice question, I've been an Avanti owner all of six weeks. My recently purchased '63 R2 (built January '63) sustained front end body damage back in the early 1970's. The long-time owner of the car returned it to Avanti Motors in South Bend for repairs. Records of those repairs accompany the car. The nose section, hood and front fenders were replaced. Among the results is a late type battery tray (certainly not a bad thing). Under the hood, there are four circular holes in each of the front fenders, these communicate with the front wheel wells. Were these added to later cars to better ventilate the engine compartment? Any idea when they were introduced?

Thanks.

You guessed it correctly...the holes were added to help vent the heat out. I don't know when Avanti Motors introduced them...my '70 doesn't have the vent holes so it must have been after that. When added emissions equipment, no lead gasoline standards, etc., required higher engine temperatures to meet those standards in the early to mid 1970's, that's the time I would guess the vent holes started being added, but that's just a SWAG guess on my part.

BTW - Welcome to Avantidom! You've entered a world unlike any other!

Edited by Gunslinger

My 83 (3771) has no holes.And doesn't overheat even though it has a blower adding to the normal Avanti engine heat.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that the vents were introduced with the prone to run hot SBC 400 in 1973. Both my '74 and '76 had them. The earlier post of the '71 with vents on one side may be an accident repair to one side with later parts, or a previous owner drilled some holes to offset an overheating issue.