63-64 how many left

MARK

So frequently at car shows I am asked how many Studebaker Avanti's are left. That is a good question. So, what is the estimate on how many are left? I would include those that are parts car, running, sort of running, sometimes running. thanks

Mark

I wondered that too.

Here's my methodology...

Get a club roster...pick a group of 100 cars as defined by their serial...i.e. between 2700 and 2800 and see how many cars are in the club.

I usually get 20 to 25 cars out of 100.

So, figure double that for stored, museum cars, parts cars or non-club members.

That's shoud be a fairly good guess.

So maybe 50..75 percent tops

Anyone else have a theory?

My own wild guess would be somewhere from half to two-thirds might still exist...in whatever form...restored, survivor, modified, etc. I would consider a car that's derelict but still all there in that group. A car being parted out I don't think would qualify if it's missing its frame or body, regardless of how many other parts remain...they're just a bunch of used parts.

I guess you can make the argument that an intact frame with its serial number plate could count...it just needs to be assembled! I can go either way on that.

There always seems to be an Avanti turning up that is new to the "known ones" so I feel the survival rate reasonably high.

As in my case the use of fibreglass has contributed to that fact.

pb

• 3 weeks later...

I would guess at least 50% too. Avantis have always been a special interest auto which seem to have higher than average survival rates. I own a '41 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet which although only 400 were produced approximately 200 survive. That surprised me when I discovered that.