1964 Studebaker Avanti R-1

63 Avanti R2

What are your thoughts of the Avanti on e-bay. 14,500 in Punta gordon Florida. Its tan

what is it worth? Nobody has bid on it for three days.

I like the car...not 100% original ( neither is mine ) but the interior changes are tasteful and look good with the exterior color. A paint job and full interior restoration could cost you close to the opening $14,500 bid. Buying a good solid car for a fair price is a better bargain than saving a couple of bucks for a car that "needs a few things".

I'd ask for more pictures of the frame and underbody supports and maybe a video of the engine running. Ideally someone to give the car a once over in person. If the car is basically turn key and can be enjoyed the way it is the price is more than fair. IMHO.

ErnieR

It is probably the same Avanti that was consigned to Ohara Restorations in 2004. The buyer was from Punta Gorda. The car had a nice appearance. I don't know anything about the mechanicals. I suggest that you have it inspected.

I like the car...not 100% original ( neither is mine ) but the interior changes are tasteful and look good with the exterior color. A paint job and full interior restoration could cost you close to the opening $14,500 bid. Buying a good solid car for a fair price is a better bargain than saving a couple of bucks for a car that "needs a few things".

I'd ask for more pictures of the frame and underbody supports and maybe a video of the engine running. Ideally someone to give the car a once over in person. If the car is basically turn key and can be enjoyed the way it is the price is more than fair. IMHO.

ErnieR

Thanks Ernier for your input. I did buy the car for 14,500 and got the wheels with it. Quote "I like the car...not 100% original" Are you talking about the interior and wheels?

thanks

Congratulations!

I was referring mainly to the interior. I only mentioned it because if you were looking for a very original car the interior is an expensive thing to restore.

I intend to put the wire wheels I have in the garage on my 64 someday.

Great looking car, enjoy!

ErnieR

It is probably the same Avanti that was consigned to Ohara Restorations in 2004. The buyer was from Punta Gorda. The car had a nice appearance. I don't know anything about the mechanicals. I suggest that you have it inspected.

Thanks Bob for your imput. Did you see the car up close? If so, your thoughts. Photos look great.

Thanks

My wife and I had decided to get back into the car hobby, but we did not know what kind of car we wanted. While at Bob Ohara's annual open house in Frostproof she spotted a gold Avanti parked on the street and it had a for sale sign in the window. She immediately said, "That is what I want...an Avanti!" The next time I was at Ohara's the car had been consigned and was in the showroom. Later, I heard second hand that it had been bought by a person in Punta Gorda.

I knew ZIP about Avantis and started research trying to learn more about the car and the market for them. I liked the car based upon its appearance. At that time I was still trying to become educated and I just knew it was very attractive to us. I never looked under the hood or examined the car's mechanicals, as I was still learning and not ready to buy.

A car in WV came to our attention and we bought it. I was not aware of anything that I considered negative about the car you purchased. I would venture that the gold car was probably in better shape mechanically at that time than the car we bought. Our car needed some attention, but I knew it when we acquired it.

You will find you have a great crowd pleaser and people will keep you busy with questions and comments. Many car enthusiasts mention the "wow" factor. I think you will enjoy the car very much. The car is around 47 years old and may need something. Most parts that you might need are easily available. Please keep us posted on your impressions as you get acquainted with it. We have had a fantastic time during our ownership of R2524. Enjoy and safe driving.

My wife and I had decided to get back into the car hobby, but we did not know what kind of car we wanted. While at Bob Ohara's annual open house in Frostproof she spotted a gold Avanti parked on the street and it had a for sale sign in the window. She immediately said, "That is what I want...an Avanti!" The next time I was at Ohara's the car had been consigned and was in the showroom. Later, I heard second hand that it had been bought by a person in Punta Gorda.

I knew ZIP about Avantis and started research trying to learn more about the car and the market for them. I liked the car based upon its appearance. At that time I was still trying to become educated and I just knew it was very attractive to us. I never looked under the hood or examined the car's mechanicals, as I was still learning and not ready to buy.

A car in WV came to our attention and we bought it. I was not aware of anything that I considered negative about the car you purchased. I would venture that the gold car was probably in better shape mechanically at that time than the car we bought. Our car needed some attention, but I knew it when we acquired it.

You will find you have a great crowd pleaser and people will keep you busy with questions and comments. Many car enthusiasts mention the "wow" factor. I think you will enjoy the car very much. The car is around 47 years old and may need something. Most parts that you might need are easily available. Please keep us posted on your impressions as you get acquainted with it. We have had a fantastic time during our ownership of R2524. Enjoy and safe driving.

Thanks Bob for your comments. They will be picking it up and shipping to me Tuesday 8/10

I'm excited.

Steve from MN