Mom's Avanti II

Stoic

I would like to start by saying Hello to everyone here! I have been gifted a beautifull Avanti II named Stoic that is in need of some help. Im a newb to the avanti and was not a fan when my mother first pulled in the drive way with her. Over the years the avanti has grown on me and now I love it! My mother was recently involved in a mva in the avanti (she is ok) and now she has passed the car over to me. Im very excited about this but there is a lot of work to be done and I have no clue where to start?!? I will be working on this as money allows but I do look forward to the day I can drive it again! Im going to post a link of the car if anyone has any input or comments feel free, like I said im kinda in the dark on this one. Thanks! Dwight

http://www.flickr.co...57624432602342/

The good news is that it's repairable and the parts are available...though some may be quite expensive. The bad news is that unless you're capable of doing the work yourself, it will cost more than the car is worth to repair it right...even if the frame itself is not damaged. I have no idea of the condition of the rest of the car...frame, torque boxes, interior, engine condition, etc.

Unless you're interested in a long, expensive process, give it a lot of thought. The fact that it was your mom's car can add a lot of emotional attachment to it and that can certainly outweigh practicality and normal common sense. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if you plan on keeping the car rather than looking at it as an investment. I have more invested in my '70 than I could expect to get in return, but that's not why I rebuilt the car.

My own feeling is that every Avanti that can be save should be saved, but I also know that's simply not a practical proposition. We do need parts cars to keep otherwise unavailable parts in the food chain for other cars to stay on the road.

Think it through...get estimates, add up the parts you know it needs, try and figure the cost of labor, than double it (at least)...and you might have an idea of how much money you're going to need. You didn't say if there's any insurance coverage on repairing the car either...that will certainly make a difference.

To expand to what Gunslinger said, you need to approach it the way you would approach repairs to any car. That is, have the car checked over thoroughly so you can determine how much it's really gonna cost to bring it back to driveable condition. If the frame is bent or the torque boxes are already in bad shape, the repair costs will go up, and it may be prohibitively expensive to fix. The body parts will be somewhat expensive, but you might be able to find some used pieces at reasonable costs. Some body shops are unwilling to work on fiberglass-bodied cars, but most cities have a shop that specializes in Corvettes, and they'll usually work on Avantis.

Most of the mechanicals are pretty much pure Chevrolet, though those built through the early 80s used Studebaker-based frames, brakes, and suspension components. After that, the underpinning were mostly Chevrolet-based. Some auxiliary components (eg, steering columns) are often sourced from some other company, and can complicate repairs if they need to be repaired and their origin cannot be readily determined.

Nostalgic Motors in Michigan carries many Avanti II-only parts, and would be the first place to contact for major components. Studebaker International in Indiana is primarily focused on Studebakers, but also carries many parts that fit Avanti IIs. The AOAI magazine and web site carry ads for other vendors. You should add up the cost of the parts required, get a rough estimate for the labor, then (as Gunslinger suggests) double it.

You obviously are not interested in fixing the car just so you can sell it, so profit is not a motive. Emotion is obviously very important, but at some point, you may not be able to afford it. If you are reasonably handy, you can save a lot of labor costs by doing routine work yourself. Either way, you need to have a ballpark idea of how much it's gonna cost before you proceed. Good luck and keep us informed.

I can really understand what you are going through. I have had 2 beautifully restored cars; a 73 Avanti II and a 64R2 damaged as the result of a commercial transport accident and an uninsured NJ female driving with her knee on the phone and putting on makeup crash into me.

First, seriously look at the insurances that your Mom had and the driver that caused the accident. If you do not have a local Avanti or Studebaker Chapter near where you live, go online and find the closest Chapter and contact them. Get as many close up digital photos as possible and include all angles and get underneath too. You need to contact a restoration shop and not a collision shop as the work quality is different, I know this twice.

Both of my cars were repaired in NJ by a shop that does high end collision and restoration. My mechanic is also knowledgeable as he worked on both cars too.

While shipping the car out of State adds expense, that idea should not be dismissed if locally you can not get reliable and qualified mechanics.

Realize that time is not on your side here, the repairs could take up to 4 to 6 months and maybe longer if the frame is damaged.

contact me if you need great references.

• 1 month later...

Well Good News I had the car inspected buy a body man and I also check the car with a fine tooth comb and the hogs are in good shape! There is a corection on the year of the car its turns out its an 83 RQBXXXX Doh! I have the car up and running now and will be getting a radiator for a 70's Nova? Dose anyone know what the part number is for the front brake pads? Also anyone know the part number for the driver side upper control arm? Thanks!

An '82 still used the same Studebaker radiator all Avanti's used since their introduction in 1962. If a Nova radiator will fits that will be news to everyone here, I'm sure. You should be able to get your current radiator re-cored as long as the side tanks are in solid shape. If not, Nostalgic Motors usually has good rebuilt radiators or you can go to a good radiator builder and have him build you a radiator using your old one as a template.

Buy the disc brake pads from one of the Studebaker vendors such as Nostalgic, John Myers or Studebaker International. Your local parts dealer won't stock them or even list them most likely. They are the same as some years Jaguars and Datsuns, but I don't know for sure what years and models. From the above vendors you'll know you're getting the correct parts. You can also get caliper rebuild kits and even new rotors if necessary, though the rotors aren't cheap.

The part number for the left side upper control arm is 532181. It was used on many Studebakers, not just Avanti's. The same goes...look for it from the Stude vendors.

If you don't already have one, get hold of an Avanti parts book for parts numbers and

illustrations of body parts... for example: http://tinyurl.com/26l62e3

When you look for body parts, be aware Avanti II has a different wheel opening than the original Avanti's since the fender sits higher (body mounts are shimmed to raise the front end, so the stance of the Avanti II is more level than was the original, thus the wheel well of the outer fender skin had to be filled a few inches at the top to compensate). Most of the other panels for a 64 Avanti are likely the same as Avanti II (63 front panels are different).

Looks like it took a pretty hard hit... the brake booster & master cylinder appear to be pushed

upward, which means there may be firewall damage in addition to the extensive front & left quarter damage; right fender may be repairable, although the repairs would be noticeable on the inside. Frame needs to be checked dimensionally.

As others mentioned, Dan Boothe at Nostalgic Motors is probably your best parts source.

He may even be able to recommend a shop in your part of the country.

Edited by WayneC

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fellas! You are correct about the fire wall it does have some spots that need repair. Advance auto parts has a listing for avanti II's and I picked up the correct brake pads from them and they were even in stock! The 75 Nova heavy duty cooling radiator appears to be a very close match to the avanti but im going check further. Im in search of a new master cyl at the moment.