Condenser replacement

tossowski

I just took my 73 Avanti in for an air conditioning check yesterday. I had not charged it recently (R-12). My mechanic recharged the system and the air blew cold. After about a minute with the engine off, what looked like vapor was wafting from under the air dam. My mechanic said I probably need a condenser and a new dryer. I checked and so far no luck on my cross referencing a 1973, 305, 400 cude GM motor. I called Nostalgic and they said they have the condenser and dryer. I would like to find the parts locally if possible.

Has anyone done this with an after market firm or a major parts supplier (in my area, Auto Zone, O'Reilly or NAPA)?

Have the tech install some a/c leak detector in the system and make sure there is a leak. Is the system cooling normally? If so, don't worry about it until there is a verified problem.

Cars today don't have receiver/dryers like cars used to. I think the replacement part is called an accumulator but it's mounted in the engine bay. Much easier to use than the dryer mounted under the front end. It's how my car is set up now...I can post pics of the setup if you want. The disadvantage is you have to have new hoses etc. and mounts for under the hood. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

You can probably come up with a condenser from a catalog the same size...maybe have to fabricate some mounts for it. The dryer would be long obsolete and I doubt if any local place would carry any dryer much less that one. Again, you may be able to match it up by dimensions with one in a catalog, but honestly, just calling Nostalgic is probably the fastest way to go and will fit without fabricating anything.

My own recommendation is either get what you need from Nostalgic or upgrade the entire a/c system with new design parts...compressor, condenser, accumulator, hoses...everything. You can run into trouble way too easily trying make do with parts adapted that look "close enough".

Edited by Gunslinger

You probably need to match the condenser to a universal type by size and fitting style. More than likely it wouldn't be on a local parts store shelf anyway.

Driers can be matched the same way and aren't expensive.

If you had a complete escape of refrigerant there would probably be a wet oily spot where it came out. I concur that the condenser is probably the culprit, it's common but do a visual in case a hose or an O ring let go.

Faced with your problem after I determined that it was the condenser I would just order the parts from Nostalgic.

ErnieR

Have the tech install some a/c leak detector in the system and make sure there is a leak. Is the system cooling normally? If so, don't worry about it until there is a verified problem.

Cars today don't have receiver/dryers like cars used to. I think the replacement part is called an accumulator but it's mounted in the engine bay. Much easier to use than the dryer mounted under the front end. It's how my car is set up now...I can post pics of the setup if you want. The disadvantage is you have to have new hoses etc. and mounts for under the hood. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

You can probably come up with a condenser from a catalog the same size...maybe have to fabricate some mounts for it. The dryer would be long obsolete and I doubt if any local place would carry any dryer much less that one. Again, you may be able to match it up by dimensions with one in a catalog, but honestly, just calling Nostalgic is probably the fastest way to go and will fit without fabricating anything.

My own recommendation is either get what you need from Nostalgic or upgrade the entire a/c system with new design parts...compressor, condenser, accumulator, hoses...everything. You can run into trouble way too easily trying make do with parts adapted that look "close enough".

Thanks for the info. I chkd back with my mechanic and he is going to test the system for leaks and see where we need to go. At least I know that Nostalgic has the parts if I need them.