Headliner material

Billy Shears

I am in the process of testing out a new reproduction headliner. Not fiberglass. If it works out, S I will offer it.

Thanks to all for a very interesting thread and great pictures.I have my '63 stripped down to the bare glass shell (off the frame) and will be painting it in the next few weeks, than putting it back together with an all new interior (and headliner) so this was extremely helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks NelsonThe only thing I see are small cracks in some areas (like tiny check marks). I'm not sure if I created some of them because I used a plastic type sponge like what you would clean your windshield with. I notice you mentioned vinyl dye. Is that a safer bet than paint? At the moment I don't know the difference between them, but I'll google it after I post this reply.

A quick update! I had some Kilz around which I brushed on a little at a time. It worked great. Set it in the sun and it was dry in about ten minutes. It dried to a flat white finish and eliminated the tiny cracks. I called Myers Studebaker and was told the color I need is an Eggshell white which is more of a satin look. 

On 4/27/2023 at 1:06 AM, 1inxs said:

Is the headliner material still available? I wouldn’t mind updating the headliner in my 70 Avanti.

Studebaker International is working to make a new Avanti headliner with the correct square pattern, color and grain, but made from what looks like an ABS plastic.