radiator hose numbers

sawczak

I'd like that info, as well, for my 1971.

I recall that I had a heck of a time a few years back trying to fit some hoses I had in storage that I thought were the correct ones for my 1971 Avanti, but I couldn't get either of them to fit. Those numbers were 1700929 and 1701855xn85. I think #1701855xn85 was supposed to be the correct lower hose, but I was unable to wrestle it onto the outlets, and it interfered with the tubes at the front of my fuel pump; I'm pretty sure I got the hoses from Nostalgic Motors. My old lower hose was a cobbled hose made of 2 shorter hoses joined by a short length of aluminized tailpipe to guard against the hose getting cut by the alternator belt (it actually was the hose that came on the car, but I had added the aluminized tube many years back when the belt had eventually worn through the hose and caused a leak). I ended up taking my old cobbled hose to a "Car Quest" parts store that allowed me to browse through their stock of hoses, and I finally settled on a #20812, which has a 1 3/4" diameter throughout. I then cut some length off of each end to wind up with a hose that worked. Another hose that looked as though it might have worked was their #20957, but I was concerned that hose would not clear the alternator belt because it lacked an offset near one end that the more expensive #20812 did have.

I'm attaching a word file that has a photo of the hose I used, with a line superimposed on it that I thought would be the shape of the ideal hose for that application.

Don't forget to put the spring inside that lower hose to keep it from collapsing under vacuum.

Edited by WayneC

On my 83, NAPA 7370 (lower hose) fits almost perfectly without any cutting. I did have to re-use the insternal spring from the old hose. My upper hose(s) begin with a sloppily cut slightly curved hose section from radiator to filler cap piece, then a "straight" ribbed hose from there to the engine.

Thank you all for your help. This is a great club to belong to. Everyone is very helpful and I appreciate it. I've got the hoses on now and am driving the car. Thanks again!

Steve

??????? It's not fair to leave us hanging, ya gotta give us feedback as part

of the deal... what did you end up using?

• 3 weeks later...

1983 Avanti, 305 with filler cap inline with top radiator hose. Using the information in this forum I just had my hoses replaced. The mechanic ordered several of those mentioned and found the following perfect fit. Lower = NAPA # NBH 7390 (Gates 20627), no changes needed. Upper = NAPA # 7686 (Gates 20812, if you cut this hose to fit the current long part from the filler cap to the block, this will leave enough to replace the short part from the filler cap to the radiator.

Photos attached

post-2975-12775157601_thumb.jpgpost-2975-127751578922_thumb.jpg

Edited by larrystude