avanti vs. jensen interceptor

j the teacher

The Interceptor has always reminded me of the Avanti...definitely the same design themes. It came out in 1966, so the Avanti design was quite recent and may have influenced it. Jensen didn't design it in-house...they had an Italian firm design it. Performance-wise...the Interceptor came with big-block Mopars so I would think it could stomp an Avanti from a standing start. Top speed...who knows? That could depend on how the cars were set up...R1 or R2, transmission, rear axle ratio, etc.

Does anyone have more information on the Jensen Interceptor. Your post is the very first time I've ever heard of this car.

There's lots of information online about them. Wikipedia is a good start but there's tons of info on websites.

Last fall, I saw one at a British car club meet...I went with my sister (a Land Rover & MGB owner) when her husband couldn't make it.

It was with a long time owner and was in 3- condition. Nice car.

Aside from the engine...imagine if someone tried to make an Avanti with expensive off the shelf-English parts and a expensive leather interior...from a firm that is no longer around.

I'm sure it's a nice car but looking at one with needs made me glad I had an Avanti...I don't think I'll ever gripe about Avanti engineering, parts, and reliability ever again.(Well, maybe sometimes).

In other words, if you think an Avanti is hard to restore...this would be much worse...especially in the US without club support and a large parts vendor network.

Value-wise, they're a bit like Avantis...I saw one at an auction at Hot August Nights a few years ago, the guy had done a loit of mechanical work, but it needed more and some cosmetics...and it was going for mid-teens or less.

Edited by J Boyle

Last fall, I saw one at a British car club meet...I went with my sister (a Land Rover & MGB owner) when her husband couldn't make it.

It was with a long time owner and was in 3- condition. Nice car.

Aside from the engine...imagine if someone tried to make an Avanti with expensive off the shelf-English parts and a expensive leather interior...from a firm that is no longer around.

I'm sure it's a nice car but looking at one with needs made me glad I had an Avanti...I don't think I'll ever gripe about Avanti engineering, parts, and reliability ever again.(Well, maybe sometimes).

In other words, if you think an Avanti is hard to restore...this would be much worse...especially in the US without club support and a large parts vendor network.

Value-wise, they're a bit like Avantis...I saw one at an auction at Hot August Nights a few years ago, the guy had done a loit of mechanical work, but it needed more and some cosmetics...and it was going for mid-teens or less.

www.saint.org HAS what you're looking for - scroll down to cars driven by the Saint.

Bill D

Look closer - it's not at all similar.

I never knew The Saint drove a Jensen.

Roger Moore drove Volvo P1800 in the 60s, and later on the late 70s "Return of the Saint" Ian Oglivy (sp?) had a Jaguar XJ-S...but never a Jenson Interceptor.

Edited by J Boyle