Pricing on parts

Yeleanor

I have a couple Avanti that are dismantled.

My question in selling parts, Body, engine, Drivetrain , interior etc... Where does one go to find ture values?

I saw in another post that a 64 tile steering column can go for up to $2000. If this is true when one would sell

a car as a project or parts car , what would a value be?

Say I have all the parts to complete a car yet no desire to do the job.

Anyway what is a good site to find values on used, NOS, or refurbished values?

I have a couple Avanti that are dismantled.

My question in selling parts, Body, engine, Drivetrain , interior etc... Where does one go to find ture values?

I saw in another post that a 64 tile steering column can go for up to $2000. If this is true when one would sell

a car as a project or parts car , what would a value be?

Say I have all the parts to complete a car yet no desire to do the job.

Anyway what is a good site to find values on used, NOS, or refurbished values?

Determining the price of parts is not straight forward. I would suggest that parts of of a used vehicle being parted out are less that the value one would be willing to pay for a NOS part or a good condition part that comes from a Studebaker vendor. Go to the Studebaker vendor websites, Studebaker International probably being the largest and see what they are charging for parts. Many avanti parts are being reproduced and someone rebuilding an avanti would probably prefer reproduced (new) or NOS parts first. Also start checking out Ebay and see what parts are listing for. I suspect the tilt steering column price may have been an impulse buyer. If you have one in good shape you might try listing it first on Ebay and see what it goes for.

I thought about the tilt wheel for my rebuild but apparently the original Stude tilt wheel only tilted downward and most of us find that if anything we wish the steering wilt would tilt upward. Most who have the tilt wheel say they leave it in the maximum height position most of the time.

Do a little research and place some adds in turning wheels possibly. You might think about seeing if some of the regular vendor/car restoration guys out there would quote a single price to take a complete parts car off your hands.

Good Luck,

Without trying to sound like a smart aleck, any part is only worth as much as anyone is willing to pay for it. Timing is everything and you have little to no control over that. You might put a particular part on Ebay and it pulls in far less than you might expect. Then put the same part on Ebay next month and now several people might be looking for it that weren't the month before and get into a bidding war. All you can do take your chances on Ebay...start with a low opening bid and set a reserve if you feel it necessary.

Even NOS parts can go for varying dollar amounts. Someone who pays full price from a vendor gets a warranty with it in case it's defective or is otherwise dissatisfied with it. You don't, or rarely get that with buying from Ebay, so identical parts should sell for less that way...with a big "but" on that...I've seen many parts go for far more on Ebay than from vendors simply because the purchaser doesn't know where to look for the parts otherwise.

It's a fact of Avanti's that they seem to go for more as parts than as complete cars. I wish it were otherwise, but that seems to be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, having restored two Avanti's one a 64 Studebaker R2 and another a 73 Avanti II, I totally agree with Gunslinger.

Keeping in mind that you probably can not offer a warranty and the parts are used, do your research on the various websites, publications. E-Bay and Hemmings should not be overlooked. Remember most of the money people have for restoration is discretionary so selling at a resonable price will allow you a quicker turnaround. Take as many closeups and with small items have a reference nearby for height,length etc.

When you compile a list of items for each year create a file and allow the many to bid or buy the few items.

Good luck, Mark