Avanti Weight

IndyJimW

The question came up about the light weight of the Avanti fiberglass body. Several years ago I had my '87 Avanti weighed; adjusting for driver and fuel the dry weight was 3294 lbs. The heaviest dry weight listing that I could find for the '87 Monte Carlo SS that is used for the frame and chassis is 3239 lbs. So my Avanti weights 50 lbs. MORE than the steel bodied Monte Carlo. <_<

The question I have is what is the Dry weight of a '63 Avanti to a similarly equipped '63 Lark?

• 4 weeks later...

The question came up about the light weight of the Avanti fiberglass body. Several years ago I had my '87 Avanti weighed; adjusting for driver and fuel the dry weight was 3294 lbs. The heaviest dry weight listing that I could find for the '87 Monte Carlo SS that is used for the frame and chassis is 3239 lbs. So my Avanti weights 50 lbs. MORE than the steel bodied Monte Carlo. <_<

The question I have is what is the Dry weight of a '63 Avanti to a similarly equipped '63 Lark?

I'm not sure I can be of much help but as I have been building my electric Avanti I have tried to make some weight measurements. I was just about to have it weighed again a few weeks ago when an electrical issue placed things on hold.

I have a 1985 coupe which I had weighed when I first got it. It had a 305 Chevy in it, less than 1/4 tank of gas and the measured weight was around 3457 pounds without the driver. This was done on a truck scale and I don't know how accurate they are.

I took the body off the frame and after I had a rolling frame with a 250 pound motor and probably another 50 pounds for the transmission I had it weighed on the same scales again. At that point it weighed 1180 pounds but it had a 1984 Corvette rear end installed with a modified frame but it was basically the same X frame used by the first Avantis.

I then put the body back on the frame and used individual wheel scales to get an estimated weight and it was now 2405 pounds. The body had all the glass in, doors on with hood and trunk lid. So I guess the difference between 1180 and 2405 might be the fiberglass body weight.

As I said I'm not sure how much help that is.

Dave