How to install electric power steering

sailingadventure

Electric Power steering.pdf 

Please download  the PDF above for more detailed information and pictures.

I know that I`m not the first person to install electric power steering on an older car, it`s been done many times, but I thought I would show the details of how it was done on my Avanti. I hope it helps to explain the steps necessary to do this if you want to do this on your car.

Steering .jpg

Steering Notes.jpg

Steering Electrical diagram.jpg

Edited by sailingadventure
To add content

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been procrastinating for a couple years on this because the area under the Avanti dash is fairly small, and the electric PS units are fairly large.  Do you have any pictures of the under dash install, and does it interfere with your feet at all?

• 2 weeks later...

The motor doesn`t interfere with the foot room at all. When it is installed it is rotated to the left side and up. The control box is relocated to the top of the steering column near the firewall.  I`m sorry but I can`t seem to get any better pictures of the installation because I`ve also added A/C under the Dash. That made it even more difficult to install the P/S

20200504_134940.jpg

20200504_134844.jpg

20200504_144232.jpg

20200504_144249.jpg

Edited by sailingadventure

• 3 weeks later...

SAILING ADVENTURE:

WHAT DID THAT COST FOR PARTS AND ABOUT HOW MANY HOURS LABOR WAS THAT?

KEITH  (YOU CAN RESPOND DIRECT TO KWAHL@SAN.RR.COM)

I had not seen your PDF.  THAT IS FANTASTIC WORK.. PS I HAVE THE SAME WHEELS AS YOU.

ARE YOU SELLING THESE UNITS AND IF SO WHATS THE COST

HOW MANY HOURS IS THE INSTALL?

THANKS KEITH

858 5182190  FEEL FREE TO CALL

Keith, It was nice to speak to you yesterday by phone, but to let others know, I can build a complete ready to install steering column with all wiring and relays for $1,000.00

I must have your old steering column sent to me first to modify because I don`t have any of these units built at this time. I do have everything else ready and the turnaround time is about one week. The installation time is about two hours, It involves removing the brake booster for access to bolts on the steering shaft rag joint, the four bolts holding the column to the bottom of the dashboard and disconnecting the turn signal wiring.

To install the unit I build, the only difference is the wiring, there is only one wire to the motor, and one wire to the ignition switch, the other wiring is in the harness that I send with the unit.

Electric power steering eliminates belts, hoses, pumps, valves, pulleys, weight, and leaks.

Jeff thanks for the info and a great build.  Having gone through all that stuff with my R1 power unit this could be heaven

I am going to look at an R2 to purchase without power and I have made inquires to get a steering column as I would not want to de-commission the car for 2 weeks

Keith

• 3 months later...

Sailing Adventure

I am starting the process of installing a Honda electric power steering system on my 63 Avanti. I noticed you posted an "Electric Power Steering" pdf with instruction but it is listed as unavailable. Is there any way I can get a copy? I am impressed that another Avanti owner has taken on this MODIFICATION project. I have been working on my 63 for the past four years and committed to getting it on the road during 2021.

Thanks,  Jerry O 

I just wanted to compliment you on the beautiful work Ingenuity. Thanks for taking the time to share it with everyone. And I do love those wheels!

Thanks again, John C.

• 1 month later...

This is great information on electric steering from the rag joint up to the wheel.  I am wondering about from the rag joint down to the tie rods for my 63 Avanti.  What steering box, pitman arm and reach rod are you using?  Am I correct you eliminated the Bendix power cylinder and control valve? Will a steering box from a Lark work on an Avanti with this setup? 

Thanks for any help,

Tom

I used the original steering box on my car, it had no power steering. I see no reason why you could not use the same steering box that is already on your car and just remove the hoses to the power cylinder and control valve. you would also have to make a hose to recirculate the fluid in the power steering pump.  If you wanted to do a little more work you could remove all of the power steering parts and replace them with parts from a car that didn`t come with power steering. This would not only eliminate some weight from the front end of your car but would definitely get rid of some oil leaks.

Studebaker International is showing the reach rod as 1542004 before serial number 4992 and 1561771 after. These also fit Larks so you may be able to find used. The pitman arm is 1557161. They do not show that part number available. I have heard that the pitman arm from GT Hawks can be used with modifications. 

You could also try Dan Booth, Stephen Allen Cade and the other usual suppliers.