interior door handle and window crank

Ryunker

Please post any info about how the interior door handle, and window crank come off. This is a 1967 Avanti II. I assumed they were "C" clips, but using a tool, was unsuccesful in removing them. There is very little clearance behind then to use a tool.

I need to remove the door panel to see why the drivers window only goes up 2" and gets caught on something.

As always any info you have will be appreaciated.

Rich Yunker

You are on the right track. It matters which side the tool goes in and whether you need to go between the plastic washer and the handle or the door panel and the washer. Push in on the door panel to get a look at the clip.

ErnieR

I agree with ernier. The clip is normally installed from the side of the pivot shaft away from the handle, so the tool needs to be inserted beneath/paralleling the handle, towards the shaft. The clip should be between the handle and the plastic washer (when installing, the clip is normally installed in the slot in the handle, from the side away from the handle/flipper, then the washer is placed over the shaft and the handle simply pushed down onto the shaft until the clip locks in place).

This is the type of tool that should pop the clip free (most of the tool will be beneath the handle extension/flipper while doing this):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KI10TC

If you have a parts manual, page 187 shows the exploded handle assembly; 2117-32 is the plastic washer; 2117-24 is the clip, shown properly oriented; 2117-32 is a foam donut that provides enough springiness to let you to separate the handle from the trim by pushing in on the upholstery panel so you can peek in between the handle and the trim bezel 2117-30 to see the plastic washer... you may need to use a slim putty knife to separate the washer from the handle a bit while pushing in on the upholstery panel (be careful not to damage upholstery); your clip removal tool then needs to pass between the plastic washer and the handle, flat against the bottom of the handle. It may take a little maneuvering to finally free the handle (which you should be tugging out away from the door as you manipulate the tool, although often the clip will literally fly/pop out of the assembly)

It's always possible the last guy to have the handle off inserted the clip from the opposite side, but that's very unlikely, because of the way the slot in the handle is machined for that clip.

Edited by WayneC

I understand, but my car seams to have another crome ring (3/8" ish thick)/washer under the window and door crank, then door panel. So is the clip below that or between the handle and that piece?

Rich

Considering the age of the car and not knowing what previous owners have done, it may not have the original handle or washer anymore. That chrome ring might be an aftermarket universal piece...check and see if it has an Allen screw holding it onto the knurled knob...if so you'll ned an Allen wrench to remove it.

Considering the age of the car and not knowing what previous owners have done, it may not have the original handle or washer anymore. That chrome ring might be an aftermarket universal piece...check and see if it has an Allen screw holding it onto the knurled knob...if so you'll ned an Allen wrench to remove it.

This car has not been worked on other than serviced since 1980, all previous work was done at south bend (have paperwork), these I am convinced they are factory. Car is low milage 60K Car has been stored since 1981, 2000 miles to date since 1981. I can post a photo next week, I am hoping to get the window up.

There are no visible allens, but might be hidden behind. The car is at the university auto shop, do not have access until Monday.

Rich

I understand, but my car seams to have another crome ring (3/8" ish thick)/washer under the window and door crank, then door panel. So is the clip below that or between the handle and that piece?

Rich

I think you mean the trim bezel 2117-30; the plastic washer 2117-32 is between that and the handle.

The clip is on the handle shaft surround (eg, a short tube which is part of the handle casting and extends perhaps 1/8 inch from the bottom surface of the handle, with slots machined in it to accept the clip).

So there's the handle, clip, plastic washer, bezel, door panel, and donut, in that order. IIRC, that plastic washer has a recessed circle (offset towards the door) in it's center that surrounds the shaft and encloses/surrounds the wire clip. So the tool has to slide between the handle and the thin plastic washer, from the end of the handle blade towards the handle shaft.

You don't say whether you have a copy of the parts manual page, which illustrates it very clearly.

I annotated it and attached it to this reply (click the thumbnail for a larger view)

I think you mean the trim bezel 2117-30; the plastic washer 2117-32 is between that and the handle.

The clip is on the handle shaft surround (eg, a short tube which is part of the handle casting and extends perhaps 1/8 inch from the bottom surface of the handle, with slots machined in it to accept the clip).

So there's the handle, clip, plastic washer, bezel, door panel, and donut, in that order. IIRC, that plastic washer has a recessed circle (offset towards the door) in it's center that surrounds the shaft and encloses/surrounds the wire clip. So the tool has to slide between the handle and the thin plastic washer, from the end of the handle blade towards the handle shaft.

You don't say whether you have a copy of the parts manual page, which illustrates it very clearly.

I annotated it and attached it to this reply (click the thumbnail for a larger view)

That is exactly what I have, no I do not have the manuals... Thanks for the image, I will try again to get it off today.

Rich