Front caliper shims

Ryunker

Pulled the front calipers to work the wheel bearings, thus removing the calipers the shims are now an issue. The left side had 5 on the bottom and two at the top, right side I have 7. please post any info you may have on adjusting and re installing these shims.

Rich Yunker

ok, I got the calipers installed. I shimmed them so there was equal distance from the caliper to the rotor on the front and rear top and bottom. Then I was off to bleed all of the brakes and found I am unable to get any fluid or air or anything from the front right brake. All other 3 wheels worked out well.

What will cause the front right only wheel to not have any pressure from the master cylinder?

Rich Yunker

It could be the rubber brake hose. Even if it looks good on the outside, with age they can collapse inside and create a blockage. If you don't know how old the hoses are, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace all of them, front and rear. I've also had a car that wouldn't bleed from a front caliper...the caliper seal had rolled over and instead of leaking fluid, it was sucking air in.

ok, I got the calipers installed. I shimmed them so there was equal distance from the caliper to the rotor on the front and rear top and bottom.

<snip>

Sounds like you did the right thing... the idea is to get the rotor exactly parallel to the caliper

and centered in the caliper slot so that both cylinders apply pressure evenly and equally to the rotor.

I agree with Gunslinger on replacing the hoses. It almost has to be a hose, or a corroded/blocked steel brake line between the the front brake line tee fitting and the non-bleedable brake cylinders. If you haven't replaced those hoses previously, there's no telling how old they are.

I don't believe you'll find the parts at a local parts supplier...even if they listed them, they'd have to order them. You're better off getting the parts from Jon Myers, Studebaker International or Nostalgic Motors. They keep them in stock and you'll know they're the correct parts.

Is there any part numbers (local part stores etc...) for the caliper kit or the hose? 1967 Avanti II.

Not sure what you mean by a "caliper kit". I agree with Gunslinger that Avanti suppliers are the best source, especially for front brake pads (I had bad luck one time buying generic pads).

I've collected these part numbers, but they may be obsolete:

Front wheel cylinder seal kits are Wagner 46462 or Girling SP2556

Front rubber hoses: NAPA 36614

Rear rubber hose: NAPA 11146

Front bleeder valve: Wagner 6446

Front pads: NAPA 5702, or Wagner 702, or Raybestos PGP-D28, or Ferodo DDB-704, or EIS B502-D28