84 avanti driveline

foxhole

a longtime customer and friend of mine recently purchased an 84 avanti and asked if i could helpget a few little things tiddled up and fixed and checked for it to go through a provincal inspection to be insured in canada. i'm new to the avanti world and have yet to have seen the car but am wondering if anyone can tell me wyhat platform the 84 was built on. After pooring over and searching all the past posts it seems the later 80's ones were gm gbody mote's followed by the larger b body caprices but see no mention of the 84's.

The '84 Avanti was built on the original Studebaker Avanti frame, which was itself a modification of the '63 Lark convertible frame, which again was a modification o the '53 Studebaker frame...just evolved and strengthened as time and needs changed. The engine is a small block Chevy which should be quite familiar. Avanti used the Studebaker frame through 1985. There are a few changes you may need to be aware of...by 1984 the rear brakes were no longer the original Studebaker/Bendix design. I believe they were GM in origin, but parts are available.