Dash Pad Replacement...any suggestions?

J Boyle

I finally got a replacement dash for my 1963. I think it's from Just Dashes...

Anyone have any tips or advice for replacing the pad and gauges?

I have a few articles out of past Avanti magazines, but anyone know more?

I really don't want to mess it up!

It's been years since I've done it, but it was pretty straightforward. I don't know if you've already removed the dash from the car itself, but follow the shop manual for the procedure. It would help to remove the front seats, pull the steering wheel and wrap tape or padding around the steering column.

Once the dash is out, you can see how to pull the gauges (mark every wire where it goes...it will help a great deal when reconnecting later). The dash inlay and radio inlay are easy to remove. Once all that is done, you can pretty much just use a scraper to remove the dash padding from the fiberglass portion. Use glue to install the new pad...the glovebox pad simply screws off and on. That's basically it...maybe simplified but it's straightforward. One hint...replace every gauge light bulb while you have it all out. They're inexpensive and far easier to do now than later when the dash is reinstalled.

IIf there's any way you can fo the job with the windshield out of the car, do it. It makes things so much easier.

ErnieR 64R2 88 Coupe

I finally got a replacement dash for my 1963. I think it's from Just Dashes...

Anyone have any tips or advice for replacing the pad and gauges?

I have a few articles out of past Avanti magazines, but anyone know more?

I really don't want to mess it up!