Cow catcher bumper removal.

ecoloney

Friends,

Is it difficult to remove the "cow catcher" bumper from a late 70s Avanti where it CONNECTS TO THE FRAME? (So as not to leave the tubes below the front bumper). How is it done?

Thanks,

On my two '74 Avanti II's, I just removed he "cow catcher" from the frame via a couple of bolts and then installed some driving lights to the front of the exposed brackets. Looks good and no ones the wiser. I guess you could remove the exposed frame brackets but I think it would require cutting. Also, if you go that route your faced wih replacing the lower grill which as I understand isn't cheap (~ $200 - $300) if you don't want to see the square holes where the bracket passed through.

I did exactly that to my '81....took off the grille, unbolted the cow catcher, then trimmed the brackets off the frame with a little Mikata high speed grinder and a few wheels.

I did bite the bullet and buy a brand new early grille with no cutouts, but believe me it was worth it. That new grille made the whole car look new again. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it.

I did have to re-drill a few mounting holes for the new grille, since they all didn't line up, but that was nothing much since it is fibreglass.

My '78 had the outer portion of the bumper removed, and a light kit installed on the stubs. I really didn't like the look. Since the frame extensions support the body, they can't simply be removed. I carefully supported the body under the radiator support and removed the frame extensions one at a time. I cut them off with a band saw, just forward of the body support. I bought a new reproduction '63 style grill from SI for $225. I was very disappointed with the construction and fit. But, the overall effect was what I was looking for. IMHO the car looks much better without the cow catcher.

DSCF4812.jpg

I did exactly that to my '81....took off the grille, unbolted the cow catcher, then trimmed the brackets off the frame with a little Mikata high speed grinder and a few wheels.

I did bite the bullet and buy a brand new early grille with no cutouts, but believe me it was worth it. That new grille made the whole car look new again. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it.

I did have to re-drill a few mounting holes for the new grille, since they all didn't line up, but that was nothing much since it is fibreglass.

Jim,

Very nice car !!! Do you have a picture of the wheels on it. Also what brand, size of wheels and what tire size are you running on your car.

Thanks,

Jim,

Very nice car !!! Do you have a picture of the wheels on it. Also what brand, size of wheels and what tire size are you running on your car.

Thanks,

The wheels are Magnum 500 15" x 7", with the optional 3-prong spinner centers. The tires are 215/70 R15.

DSCF4954-1.jpg

Thanks, beautiful car and I was thinking Magnum 500 but the spinners were throwing me for a loop.

Thanks for your comments. I really like the '78 Avanti, but still prefer the looks of the original. I drove 63R3351 for 29 years, so I guess that's why I"m partial to the original lines. To that end, I removed the frame horns and got rid of the "boxing gloves" on the rear bumper. Fortunately, the P.O. removed the "II" emblems and side moldings when he had the car painted. I like the look of the Avanti hood ornament too, but I haven't decided whether I'll add that or not.

One note about the Magnum 500 spinners: They are 3-pronged, on a 5-lug wheel. The result is that one lug nut on each wheel is blocked by the spinner. So, you need to carry a breaker bar with a socket to get the last lug in the event of a flat tire. Not good design, but I think that the spinners look good. The '78 came from the factory with 6" Magnum 500 wheels, with the plain center.

Thanks for your comments. I really like the '78 Avanti, but still prefer the looks of the original. I drove 63R3351 for 29 years, so I guess that's why I"m partial to the original lines. To that end, I removed the frame horns and got rid of the "boxing gloves" on the rear bumper. Fortunately, the P.O. removed the "II" emblems and side moldings when he had the car painted. I like the look of the Avanti hood ornament too, but I haven't decided whether I'll add that or not.

One note about the Magnum 500 spinners: They are 3-pronged, on a 5-lug wheel. The result is that one lug nut on each wheel is blocked by the spinner. So, you need to carry a breaker bar with a socket to get the last lug in the event of a flat tire. Not good design, but I think that the spinners look good. The '78 came from the factory with 6" Magnum 500 wheels, with the plain center.

My 63 Avanti R2386 is at Myer's Studebaker in Ohio right now getting a complete frame off restoration. Plans are to make performance, comfort and safety upgrades so that I can enjoy my car and feel at ease driving it across country to meets if I choose to do so. I've been looking at several wheel choices right now I am leaning towards Halibrand 5 spokes that have an optional spinner as well. Here's a picture of them on another car.

37Chevy_Halibrand5spokeCU.jpg