Door adjustment

IndyJimW

The driver’s door, front top will not adjust flush with the fender. It sticks out about 1/4 inch, if I elongate the adjustment holes in the hinge further will I be able to adjust it flush? Has anyone done this?

I would check to determine whether the hinge pin is significantly worn. You could try having the door open a few inches and grab the bottom of the door up under the bottom hinge and see if you can manually push the top of the door inward. If you can, your hinge pin on top may be worn or, if this era has bushings, the bushings may be worn. Studebaker Int'l has hinge parts through '85. Good luck.

• 9 months later...

I'm painting my car so I finally got around to adjusting the door. I had to remove the upper hinge and elongate the 4 holes about a 1/4". I was then able to move the door flush at the top.

Jim Wood

The driver’s door, front top will not adjust flush with the fender. It sticks out about 1/4 inch, if I elongate the adjustment holes in the hinge further will I be able to adjust it flush? Has anyone done this?

Before you do anything, get the shop manual. SI and others have it on CD for $20. The in-out adjustment is done with shims between the hinges and hinge mount panels. If adjusting using shims doesn't get you all the way there, then you can consider elongating holes.

I have the manual on CD. Also there were no shims between the the door hinge and door panel on my Avanti's door so I had to elongate the holes.

Jim Wood

Before you do anything, get the shop manual. SI and others have it on CD for $20. The in-out adjustment is done with shims between the hinges and hinge mount panels. If adjusting using shims doesn't get you all the way there, then you can consider elongating holes.