1981 Front Brake Rotors?

g2watch

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what may cross reference for my 1981 Avanti 11 front rotors? I would appreciate any help on this subject because I have a company that will slot and drill them if I provide them with the new rotors. I know I can always go with the Turner or Steeltech method but I think this will help out with the current good (Dunlop) brakes that are on it now.

Thanks,

Ray

There is no cross reference...it's Avanti specific and the only other cars that used that rotor were Studebaker Larks and Hawks that came equipped with disc brakes. You can buy new rotors from several Studebaker vendors like John Myers and Studebaker International. They run about $200 each.

I don't know what you'll gain by drilling or slotting them. There may be a good safety reason not to do so...they're solid discs...not ventilated. They may be by nature not thick enough to be slotted or drilled without compromising their strength. Generally, slotting is preferred to drilling since many times stress cracks will begin at the holes and could weaken the rotor.

If, down the road you decide to go with the Turner or Steeltech brake conversions, that would be a good time to use drilled or slotted rotors. An Avanti rotor is thin enough when within spec to possibly compromise its strength and safety.

A Turner conversion will give you the results you are looking for. You pick up more pad area, choice of high performance pads ( I like Hawk ), and ventilated rotors that are probably available, new, drilled and slotted.

The difference is night and day.

ErnieR

There is no cross reference...it's Avanti specific and the only other cars that used that rotor were Studebaker Larks and Hawks that came equipped with disc brakes. You can buy new rotors from several Studebaker vendors like John Myers and Studebaker International. They run about $200 each.

I don't know what you'll gain by drilling or slotting them. There may be a good safety reason not to do so...they're solid discs...not ventilated. They may be by nature not thick enough to be slotted or drilled without compromising their strength. Generally, slotting is preferred to drilling since many times stress cracks will begin at the holes and could weaken the rotor.

If, down the road you decide to go with the Turner or Steeltech brake conversions, that would be a good time to use drilled or slotted rotors. An Avanti rotor is thin enough when within spec to possibly compromise its strength and safety.