Where to start?

Zach

my grandpa gave me his Avanti that I've been in love with since before i could walk. The only problem is that the engine's been out for about that amount of time. The interior is shot to you know what and the entire car is just a huge project. So i was wondering folks, where do I start? Luckily there's this older guy who owns a muffler shop down the road who's big into Studes, so there's a resource there.

my grandpa gave me his Avanti that I've been in love with since before i could walk. The only problem is that the engine's been out for about that amount of time. The interior is shot to you know what and the entire car is just a huge project. So i was wondering folks, where do I start? Luckily there's this older guy who owns a muffler shop down the road who's big into Studes, so there's a resource there.

Zach, the question is where do you want to end? If you are looking to make it perfect and show, then take it all apart and start with the frame. If you want to make it real nice get it mobile, engine and make it run stop and turn. Then focus on whatever body work and paint is needed assemble the whole exterior and all chrome etc... End up in the interior, take your time on this project SAVE AND REUSE EVERYTHING YOU CAN BOLTS SCREWS CLIPS and TRIM if not you will need the National Tresure to complete the project.

When I say Where do you want to end up? This is crucial. I have rebult and put back on the road anout 12 classics in my life, but had in work like 20. Trying to make every detail on a clasic perfect leads to it never getting done, and a huge money pit. Currently I have three, one is my torino I finished last summer, including the cost of the car I have $8,000 in it. It is a very sharp car and from 10' it is perfect, and the result is a car I love and can take it anywhere with no worries, I have yet to take it to local shows, but I feel it will be a contender. My second one is a '71 Mach1, I purchased it in 2004 and rebuilt the motor back to factory, to every extent, worked one door, and a fender. Every section of this car turned into a money pit due to my percieved value when it is complete, rare (correct) engine, good color, and all that jazz = a 2,000 LBS concrete hold down tool ensuring the garage does not move. Last of all is my (father in laws) '67 Avanti II, great shape, Minor fluid leaks everywhere, low miles and in the scope of perfection could use new paint (after 30 years), but I have chosen to do the minor required leak repairs and drive it.

Now you may ask why I explained all of that, well it is because I learned a valuable life lesson, it is had to enjoy them if they are not on the road. I live for the days to come (without snow) that I can pull two of my hot rods out in the driveway to wash wax and enjoy, meanwhile the Mach1 sits another year all in pieces.

Rich

Good advice, Rich. I would like to add a suggestion or two for the new owner of Grandpa's Avanti, based on my experiences from 40 some years in the old car hobby. I would FIRST get the car running and driving....without much thought to where you want to wind up with the car. Get the car to the point of being able to go down the road with it, even if the exterior and the interior look like heck....and even if you later have to pull the engine back out, because you eventually decide you want a super-looking engine and engine compartment.

Also, Mr. Avanti Owner: Avoid at all costs disassembling the car now, regardless of your vison for your Avanti in the future. With only the guy at the muffler shop to help you, and possibly limited mechanical ability and funds yourself.... this is a possible heartbreak waiting to happen. We've all seen "special" cars that have been sitting in someone's garage for years and years, mostly apart in little boxes....because a person started to restore the car all at once.

My last suggestion is for you to immediately join the Avanti Owners Association International AND the Studebaker Driver's Club, if you haven't already done so. The publications, website help forum (especially the SDC), parts vendors and personal contacts will be invaluable to you as an Avanti owner. Call me at 715-341-6188, if you want to talk about things. Best, John in Wisconsin

That's all great info, guys, thanks. But there were a few things i forgot to mention. First, my family on the other side owns a 10 bay garage here in town, so the technical expertise of cars in general is available. Second, we're pretty close with the local body shop. Third, my dad has done a bunch of business for these guys, so I can get a pretty good deal on interior. I guess I was just focused on avanti-centric help. With that info, is there any more you guys can tell me?

Zach, I think I would agree that it is important to get the car moving, stopping, and going down the road again. I would focus on getting her on the road and leave the paint, body and interior work for later on the restoration trail. You can see what I am doing at

http://forums.aaca.org/f190/avanti-r2-1963-refresh-269244.html

I have this 63 Avanti R2 for a bit over two months and I am finally just a day or so from getting it back on the road.

John in VA

Studebaker mechanicals present no problems...if a mechanic can work on any generic engine he can work on a Stude engine...no surprises. It's old technology and pretty simple. Studebaker engineering was very sound...particularly considering the slim budgets they had to work with. On some items they did the road less travelled in how they accomplished some design aspects...different, but not bad by any means. My own theory on that is since South Bend is outside the Detroit Big 3 sphere of influence, their engineers were less influenced by Detroit's group think and they came up with their own ways of engineering. Nonetheless, working on an Avanti presents some challenges, but those issues are generally Avanti specific, not due to weird or defective design. I think they started with a radio, speaker and wiper motor and built a car around them!

The interior...any good upholstery shop can deal with it. Find one that is familiar with old cars. Be careful...if I'm not mistaken, replacement of the rear half of the headliner requires removal of the back glass. If someone has figured out a way to accomplish that otherwise, maybe they can advise us. That's one of the ways an Avanti can be a real pain when dealing with.

The number one thing to do is obtain a parts manual and shop manual if you don't already have them. Reprints are easily available, and you can also buy them in CD form, though I find the actual books are easier to deal with.

Before you begin anything, put the car on a lift and check the frame and hog troughs (torque boxes)...if either is badly rusted you're looking a big expense and will have to decide whether the car is worth fixing. I know the car was your Grandpa's, so emotional value can easily trump financial value. Only you can make that determination. Nearly anything can be fixed...it's depends on whether it's worth the time, effort and expense to you. I'll never tell you emotional attachment isn't a solid point to consider. Some people look at things coldly and financially...some look emotionally for various reasons. It's your car, your money and effort. Just decide how important the emotional aspect is to you when you belly up to the bar and start spending money.

If the frame and hog troughs are solid...then you have a good car to start with. Feel free to ask questions here...lots of us here have experience in solving certain problems and sourcing parts. You'll find the parts network on mechanical parts for a Studebaker is excellent...lots of vendors who specialize in Stude parts and many also reproduce otherwise non-available parts. Some parts are just about extinct unless you can find a donor car...the back glass is made of "unobtainium" while brand new windshields are still available. Trim parts on an Avanti can be difficult and some easily found as they're standard Studebaker. It's the Avanti specific trim parts you may have trouble with. When my Avanti was being rebuilt there was only one mechanical part I was unable to find...the original part worked fine but was simply unsightly looking. A few pieces of interior trim were unavailable and the upholsterer handled it by fabricating...since then I've seen the parts come up on Ebay so they are out there. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing.

Keep us advised of how things are going and ask questions. Also be sure to take lots of photos of the entire rebuilding process...beginning to end. You can make a photo album for future reference. You'll be glad you did.