Who's rear brakes? Transmission?

Ryunker

I have my "Father in laws" '67 avanti II, he has gotten too old to maintain, and start the car. He has owned it since 1988, garage kept and had put a wapping 2k miles on it back and forth from the VFW american legion and home since he purchased it... Now I have had to overcome massive carborator issues to get the choke to function along with have the floats float.

The car sits here in my garage with 60k factory miles on it, and clean.

I still have a couple of issues to resolve, first who's rear brakes were put on these Avanti II's? I need to find shoes, and an adjusting spring kit for the rear. Any ideas? Secondly, the transmission tail shaft where the drive shaft goes in started to drip and now goes to a magor leak. It looks like the transmission is some sort of borg warner like the Ford FMX? Any ideas on what to buy parts for to solve that issue?

I do belong to "The Fairlane club of America" in support of my '68 Torino and have found those forums really helpful, I am in hopes these will be as well.

Rich Yunker

The brake pads are available through Stude vendors.

Here's a great resource for your Avanti http://www.studebaker-info.org

The trans is a Borg Warner unit.

The '67 is a rare car. I'm sure the forum would love to see some pictures.

ErnieR

Thanks, I was hoping to purchase the brake parts at a local store, not knowing exacty what I need before I dismantle it. It is funny you ask for pictures the car looks very similar to yours.

Here you go.

Richpost-9187-125984997154_thumb.jpgpost-9187-125984999459_thumb.jpg

Beautiul car!

They are very rare and probably at the higher end of the value scale as far as Avanti ll's go. They used all the existing Stude stuff except for the engine so they have appeal in the "has to be a Stude" community also.

If you don't have a shop manual for a Stude, I would get one. The front brakes have a couple of quirky things about them. There will be shims that look like washers that should be re-positioned as they came off. The caliper needs to be shimmed so it's centered over the rotor.

The calipers themselves need to be relatively pit free to seal properly. Also note the orientation of the steel tubes that connect the two halves. Put them on wrong and they rub against the wheel.

If the rear axle on your car is the tapered type you'l need a puller to get the drum off.

I visit the Fairlane forums once in awhile...I have a '62 Meteor S-33.

ErnieR

I did go to the web site, it was useful, now to get it apart...

Edited by ernier

Earnie, what do you mean tapered? I am in hopes of just grabbing the drum with a big old slide hammer to get it off. What is the puller you mentioned for the rear?

Rich

Beautiul car!

They are very rare and probably at the higher end of the value scale as far as Avanti ll's go. They used all the existing Stude stuff except for the engine so they have appeal in the "has to be a Stude" community also.

If you don't have a shop manual for a Stude, I would get one. The front brakes have a couple of quirky things about them. There will be shims that look like washers that should be re-positioned as they came off. The caliper needs to be shimmed so it's centered over the rotor.

The calipers themselves need to be relatively pit free to seal properly. Also note the orientation of the steel tubes that connect the two halves. Put them on wrong and they rub against the wheel.

If the rear axle on your car is the tapered type you'l need a puller to get the drum off.

I visit the Fairlane forums once in awhile...I have a '62 Meteor S-33.

ErnieR

If there's a nut on the axle it's a tapered axle. The drum and hub come off as a unit and need a puller that bolts to the drum via the studs and centers on the axle. Then you wail away on it it with a BFH. There's a point in production where the axles were flanged and the drum just slips off. Just pop a hubcap and you'll know right away what you have.

ErnieR