Grant Steering Wheel

geojerry

I checked both Summit Racing and Jegs catalog and they both show a Grant Walnut finished 3 spoke steering wheel. They both say an adapter kit is needed . My 78 Avanti II has the black factory wheel on the Chrysler column with the Avanti button for the horn ring. So, what adapter kit do I need? I see no mention of a kit for my Avanti or my 63 GT hawk.

Thx, Jerry

I have a Grant 3-spoke mahogany finished steering wheel in my '70, but that's with the old Studebaker steering column so it's a different adapter kit. My link Since your car has a Mopar steering column I would look for the application for a '77 or '78 Chrysler. I looked at Grant's application guide and it seems most use the same installation kit with the difference being whether it's a tilt steering wheel or not. But...you never know how much of a pain it will be to get the correct kit...we're talking about Avanti Motors here. They could have stockpiled steering columns from a prior year that could use a different kit.

I think the Grant installation kit 3196 or 5196 is what you need, but there's certainly no way of knowing for sure until you try. The 3196 is the standard kit for a tilt wheel and the 5196 is a more custom kit of billet aluminum (maybe steel...I'm not sure). The 5196 is for the signature steering wheel only which I believe is what you're installing. I would think either Summit Racing or Jegs will carry either.

From the Jegs site. Will go with this since I'm getting the GRANT CLASSIC

3196 - Grant Steering Wheel Installation Kits Details

Grant Standard Style Installation Kit for Classic, Clhallenger, and Signature Series Steering Wheels

1970-88 AMC (All Exc. Alliance, Encore)

1976-95 CJ5, CJ6, CJ7, Wrangler, Cherokee, Wagoneer, Pick-up, Scrambler, Commanche

1974-75 Cherokee, Wagoneer, Pick-up

1969-93 Buick All Models

1969-94 Chevy Cars and 1974-94 Trucks, SUV's, 82-94 Vans

1978-81 Chrysler Corp. w/Tilt Wheel

1979-81 Tilt col. 2WD & 4WD Pick-Ups, Trailduster, Ramcharger, Dakota, Van