Size of original Studebaker Avanti steering wheel, and Avanti II

grobb284

I am curious how large the original Studebaker Avanti steering wheel (OD) is, and also how large the Nardi wood steering wheel used in Avanti II as an option?

I saw where the Shrock Bros were remolding them (Studebaker Avanti), and it mentions 16 1/2 inches.

That sounds about right. Large diameter steering wheels were the norm back in those years. Avanti Motors used the same steering wheel until about 1971 when they transitioned from the Studebaker steering column to an impact absorbing column sourced elsewhere (GM, AMC or Chrysler depending on the source one references).

I have no idea the diameter of the Nardi wheel that was used later. I would suspect it was a smaller diameter as that's what became more the norm by that time.

Thanks for obtaining the measurements. I went for the middle of the two, and just ordered a Nardi classic 390mm, approximately 15 3/8". I like the styling, similar to the original Avanti steering wheel, and probably less expensive than the faux woodgrain 1964 Avanti wheel.

Working on installing an Ididit shorty tilt column with it. I assembled and put an original style Studebaker tilt in a '63 Avanti in the 1980's. This may be an easier way to go.