64R2 rear ended

MARK

I bought R5470 just about a year ago; car previously had a reverse hood scoop and a Porche grill, and did a full frame on restoration. The car is perfect, beautiful and took 2nd place at a local car show this past summer. Of course the story does not end here. 7 weeks ago while stopped at a red light on my way for an oil change an uninsured female driver rear ended me. Her total concern was her car; figure that, and then she informed me she did not have collision insurance. Gee was I thrilled or not? Now I am battling with State Farm to allow me to use the restoration shop that did all the paint and body to redo the repairs. I was hit hard enough to break the motor mounts so you have an idea of the impact. State Farm wants me to use one of their collision shops instead of my restoration shop. Of course when I insured this car under the "antique-classic car" designation from State Farm, no one told me I had to use one of their collison shops for my classic. I am not giving up nor will I have their collision shop do the repair. I never thought State Farm would be so stupid about this.

Seems that in NJ if you have Medicade you can buy car insurance for $1.00 day. There is no theft or liability/collision, just a limited amount for health. So I will have to take her to court to collect whatever State Farm does not. What a mess.

That really bites the big one! It sounds similar to what my Dad faced back in 1963 with State Farm. The first new car he ever bought...a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix, with 2k miles on it, was, to any objective observer, demolished in a head-on collision (he, my sister and I were in the car when it happened...after all these years it's still the most terrifying thing I have memories of). It was a $5000 car with over $3500 damage and State Farm refused to declare it totaled and insisted it be repaired. My Dad was furious with his agent for not fighting for him and he ended up changing insurance companies. When he got the car back he was completely dissatisfied with the repairs and simply got a new car.

My Dad said that he had heard from others that State Farm would pay off quick on a small claim but fight you on a big claim. His experience showed that correct.

Unless your insurance policy clearly states that State Farm can dictate the repair shop, fight them on it. Have them show you where it says that without ambiguity. Go up their chain of command until you get someone to listen to your concerns. Once it's all resolved get another insurance company.

That really bites the big one! It sounds similar to what my Dad faced back in 1963 with State Farm. The first new car he ever bought...a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix, with 2k miles on it, was, to any objective observer, demolished in a head-on collision (he, my sister and I were in the car when it happened...after all these years it's still the most terrifying thing I have memories of). It was a $5000 car with over $3500 damage and State Farm refused to declare it totaled and insisted it be repaired. My Dad was furious with his agent for not fighting for him and he ended up changing insurance companies. When he got the car back he was completely dissatisfied with the repairs and simply got a new car.

My Dad said that he had heard from others that State Farm would pay off quick on a small claim but fight you on a big claim. His experience showed that correct.

Unless your insurance policy clearly states that State Farm can dictate the repair shop, fight them on it. Have them show you where it says that without ambiguity. Go up their chain of command until you get someone to listen to your concerns. Once it's all resolved get another insurance company.

Mark, sounds like the same deal I got from the city of Las Vegas, when one of their vehicles drove over the front end of my 1971 Avanti, while it was parked in front of my house. I was told to get 3 estimates, submit them to the city and then take the car to the shop of my choice. The city did not like the $14,924.00 estimate I gave them. They decided to total my car. Wrong Answer hom'e. I fought them for several months, and finally came out the winner. Put on the heavy gloves, swing hard and often.

Mark, sounds like the same deal I got from the city of Las Vegas, when one of their vehicles drove over the front end of my 1971 Avanti, while it was parked in front of my house. I was told to get 3 estimates, submit them to the city and then take the car to the shop of my choice. The city did not like the $14,924.00 estimate I gave them. They decided to total my car. Wrong Answer hom'e. I fought them for several months, and finally came out the winner. Put on the heavy gloves, swing hard and often.

Mark, hopefully the woman who hit you didn't swallow her cell phone.

Assuming you have an insurance commissioner you might want to contact their office, even though it is Gov. they might help.

IF that doesn't work you might want to think about hiring a lawyer. Insurance companies are only your friend when you are

paying them. Put on the heavy gloves now, they won't stop messing with you until they find out you're not going to put up

with it. Good luck and really sorry to hear about your car. And happy to hear you weren't seriously injured.

Years ago I was hit at a stop sign by a State Farm driver.

Thgey refused to pay anything even though he hit me (they said far all they knew I hit him).

I had our company attorney write them a letter, that finally got them doing something.

Good luck...

Years ago I was hit at a stop sign by a State Farm driver.

Thgey refused to pay anything even though he hit me (they said far all they knew I hit him).

I had our company attorney write them a letter, that finally got them doing something.

Good luck...

I am holding off on the attorney. Lees Garage in Long Branch NJ has taken care of both Avanti's and my other daily drivers over the years. In fact, Paul the owner ownes a 66 or 67 Avanti II. He is well versed with the crap from the insurance companies. If nothing is resolved within another month, I will go to 2 of the larger NJ newspapers and offer an opportunity to write about the friendly service and all the attention that State Farm is spending money on with the TV ads.

Thanks, I will keep this forum posted. By the way, my 73 Avanti II is up for sale; frame on restoration.

Hi Mark,

I like your plan but I think you will find that disputes between customers and insurance companies are NOT NEWS. Too common and remember

who buys those big display adds in the newspaper, not you would be my guess. Newspapers rely on advertising, NOT circulation, for income.

If you don't want an attorney at least think like one and document everything you do, no matter how insignificant it seems to be.

I think New Jersey has an insurance commissioner, it doesn't cost anything to talk to them. Good Luck.

Hi Mark,

I like your plan but I think you will find that disputes between customers and insurance companies are NOT NEWS. Too common and remember

who buys those big display adds in the newspaper, not you would be my guess. Newspapers rely on advertising, NOT circulation, for income.

If you don't want an attorney at least think like one and document everything you do, no matter how insignificant it seems to be.

I think New Jersey has an insurance commissioner, it doesn't cost anything to talk to them. Good Luck.

A couple years ago my E-TYPE roadster was rear ended by a woman doing, by her admission, over 40mph.

The shop that does a lot of work on exotic cars said that it could be repaired but the cost would be excessive.

Since I have owned the car since 1970 I really wanted it to be fixed.

So I told her adjuuster that I would sign a release for any claims for "pain and suffering" if they would fix the car. Her company, which was afiliated with her church some way, said that they hadn't had any dealings with that type of car. They subregated the claim to my company."Hagerty's".

The body tub was virtually destroyed and a new one was found and imported from Covington England.

Virtually every thing from the firewall back was replaced new. The car is probably better (no rust) and straighter than new.

The repair took one year,eleven months and twelve days, and the shop said they managed to get it in under $65k!

Thought every one would like to hear a good story,

Charlie RQB3921