Avanti meet??

billsr2

a non-official observation of Saturday (and a non-owner...my dad has an 88 Avanti).

Saturday the weather was perfect for an Avanti show. I arrived shortly after 11:30 and the final judging was taking place. All 6 eras were represented (Studebaker, Avanti II, Blake, Kelly (part 1), caifaro, and Kelly (part 2), some more than others (as well as a Studebaker Transtar flatbed, a Hawk and a gran turismo). Each era having its own row

I was surprised to see at least around 5 supercharged Studebaker Avantis R1s and R2s. Loved the futuristic knobs and airplane inspired overhead buttons on both the studebakers and IIs.

Blake's prototype 5 speed was on location as well as 4 other nearly identical black Avantis (others were auto).

There was 2 88-89s with black out trim up top, which was a great look, especially on the red exterior/interior 89 with ground effects/fog lights.

2 4-doors (1 white, 1 blue) and a gorgeous white '91 convertible (my best in show). I had never seen a 91 before and I feel this design was RIGHT! It was interesting how the "coke bottle" curve on the side was accentuated and I found the front end's softened "fins" nearly perfect.

About 8 2002-2007 Avantis were on hand as well.

I'd say there were around 35-40 cars there. This was a little disappointing, as I had hoped there would be quite a few more. Overall a good time was had and many stories were shared.....

Enjoyed a nice day at the Lisle meet. Some nice Avantis there. Does anyone know who owns the 64 R-2 Burgandy/black with 49k miles. I took some pictures with my camera but somehow goofed them up. I think the tag on the window said Joe & Chuck. It had a R2 emblem on the ignition shielding. I would like some pictures of the car from all angles if possible. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Marc

Actually,

There were (at the peak with 5 local Avantis that had just shown up and were neither registered or judged...heck, there were 33 registered to be judged, alone) 52 Avantis (verified by the photos taken from the hotel rooftop and 2 walking counts on the ground)!!

AFAIK, this is the most at a non-SDC dual meet since the Orlando meet (51) in '04.

The 5 all black cars mentioned incl. the 5 speed are 20th anniversary special editions and, with only 25 produced, this represented 20% of total production in one place at one time...quite a feat!

Also, to have 7 of the new-gen ('00-'07's including the ONLY Cancun produced coupe and the only 6 cyl convert. in the country) and (2) 4 doors in one place is pretty amazing too!

For those who so generously donated their time, talent, and treasure to make this event a success I offer a HUGE THANK YOU and pat on the back for a job well done!!!

I will attempt to post a rooftop pic or 2 shortly,

Tom Gorr

Meet Chairman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...