Query about Instrument cluster removal, soda blasting and dash cover repair

borzoi

I found some very nice engine-turned metal applique that I am using to resurface the scratched panels in my console ('81 red coupe.) It works really well and is very inexpensive. The console panels - from ashtray lid to AC panel look great -it's really hard to tell it isn't the real thing.. Now I want to do the main instrument cluster. Has anyone ever removed one of these, and if so, how? I have the standard eight gauges and the four lights but I don't see any screws to remove to gain access so assume the whole process will have to be done from behind. Maybe it's just a simple, labor-intensive task but I thought I would ask in case anyone had done this and learned some tricks in the process.

Has anyone ever had an Avanti soda-blasted? I wonder if it works as well on fiberglass as it does on steel cars. A painter recommended that I have that done, saying that will expose the areas that need resin repair before painting. Just wondering how it works on glass.

Does anyone know where or if rubber seals for the quarter windows are available. I see windshield, back window and upper and lower door seals advertised, but nothing for the quarter windows.

Last question. My dash cover is starting to get a crack, right about in the middle coming down from the windshield. Mine was colored dark graphite to match some trans-am seats that were installed, and I was wondering of any of the black body adhesives or other compounds would be suitable to put in this still small crack before it gets longer? Any experience with this?

The gauges and lights are removed from the back, tiny hands are helpful.

I talked to a company that does soda-blasting a couple of weeks ago and they told me that some fiberglass can't be soda-blasted, it will shread it. They told me to bring a part by so that they could test it first.

Good luck

Jim Wood

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know where or if rubber seals for the quarter windows are available.

Try this vendor: https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerp...art_id=535.8112

(2-page listing, don't forget to look at the second page)

or, Nostalgic at 1-800-avantix (mid-week, as they aren't open some days)

eBay is another possible source

(and Nostalgic also sells items on eBay under the name "avantilady"... try this search:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/avantilady/m.h...from=&_ipg= )

Also, see if there's a Corvette shop near you that works on the older vettes (56-67)... they may

be able to steer you to a vendor that does soda blasting.

Edited by WayneC