Back Up Light Switch

Reno Dan

Can anyone tell me where I can locate (tap into) the back up light circuit? There is no switch I can locate on the shifter or transmission. I am working from jack stands and do not have easy access to a lift. All of the pictures I can find of the GM switches appear to be for column shifts and that does not seem right. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me where I can locate (tap into) the back up light circuit? There is no switch I can locate on the shifter or transmission. I am working from jack stands and do not have easy access to a lift. All of the pictures I can find of the GM switches appear to be for column shifts and that does not seem right. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

After extensive research my mauals also mention the colum. However, they include this info: "Combination neutral/start/backup lamp switch". This switch does both. They say it is mounted on the transmission shift mechanism in the console. I don't recall seeing anything special in there on my '88 and my mechanic has adjusted the neutral switch in the past and I'm sure he would have mentioned dealing with the console as he doesn't like INSIDE stuff. So, if you can find the neutral/start switch you will probably also find the back-up light switch (same thing). I'm guessing on top of the transmission or where the shifter cable attaches.

Edited by wdaly

Hi, Reno Dan's roommate here. His Avanti and my Jensen SP get along great together!

We need to access the reverse light circuit so that the Pioneer AVIC N3 GPS system can "know" when the car is moving backwards -- and also when to switch the (future) reverse camera onto the LCD screen. We can connect a wire to one of the back-up lights at the rear of the car, but we'd rather not have to string a wire most of the length of the car when that circuit must be present within a foot or so of where we need it.

You will need to tap into the Light Green wire coming off of the Transmission Position Switch mounted on the transmission. It has a six wire plug and looks like it is mounted on the top rear of the transmission. The diagrams I'm looking at are for a '90 Caprice. If you need the diagrams give me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

You will need to tap into the Light Green wire coming off of the Transmission Position Switch mounted on the transmission. It has a six wire plug and looks like it is mounted on the top rear of the transmission. The diagrams I'm looking at are for a '90 Caprice. If you need the diagrams give me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Thank you for the information. I would appreciate your sending me the wiring diagrams, e-mail is dhansen@earthling.net. I will be installing some new exhaust tips soon and hope to install a vampire tap on the designated light green wire while the vehicle is on the lift. Again thanks, it's nice being able to ask questions and know someone who cares about the vehicles is out there.

Dan Hansen