Power window failure

James Bond

I have a 1989 beauty. Unfortunately the driver's side power window has stopped working. When I work the switch, the power gauge dips, so I assume it is the motor. Are they hard to replace? Let me know. Thanks.

JB

i'm new to this ('88 model), but i'm having similar problems. windows operate erratically. same scenario - gauge dips, no action. regular use seems to help. at times i've borrowed a switch from an operating window and it works. other times it doesn't. fiberglass car, maybe poor ground? i also notice that even when they're working, it's slow. i wonder about the window channels and the need for refurbishing?

let me know if you've found something.

fred

i'm new to this ('88 model), but i'm having similar problems. windows operate erratically. same scenario - gauge dips, no action. regular use seems to help. at times i've borrowed a switch from an operating window and it works. other times it doesn't. fiberglass car, maybe poor ground? i also notice that even when they're working, it's slow. i wonder about the window channels and the need for refurbishing?

let me know if you've found something.

fred

I have an '88 Coupe. Years ago I had the same problem on the passesger side. Spent over $400 to have a specialty shop replace the motor (from a K-car).

A few years ago SAME problem. I ordered an entire replacement system from Nostalgic (good price) they give you a rebuilt one in exchange for yours. Here's the deal - chances are there was NEVER anything wrong with the system to begin with (both times). WHY? Because these cars have a problem with 'elongated holes' that mount the window assenbly. Look in there and see what's up. It is very difficult to properly adjust and align once the holes get big enough from the force of window torque movement (espcially the Swivel Pivot Point). Get the original '62-63 Shop & Parts Manuals - they will have drawings/pictures and by-the-numbers removal, adjustments, etc.

Bill

I have a 1990 unit with a window problem as discussed, and have found the postings on this topic very useful, however, how do I remove the door handle? I have found the door handle removal tool to be useless and there is not enough room to compress the door panel to see what I presume is a retaining clip on the handle. I really do not want to damage the leather door panel.

Also, my remote locking unit has died and I am trying to install a new Viper unit. The old unit, based on the activation switch wiring appearing to be wired into the factory wiring harness, seems to be factory installed. Does anyone know if these units were original equipment, either as an option or as standard equipment? Either way, does anyone have an idea as to where the physical location of the alarm system control unit might be in the vehicle?

Finally, for now, it appears I may need access to behind the dash panel, particularly on the passenger side. Any suggestions??

I have a 1990 unit with a window problem as discussed, and have found the postings on this topic very useful, however, how do I remove the door handle? I have found the door handle removal tool to be useless and there is not enough room to compress the door panel to see what I presume is a retaining clip on the handle. I really do not want to damage the leather door panel.

Also, my remote locking unit has died and I am trying to install a new Viper unit. The old unit, based on the activation switch wiring appearing to be wired into the factory wiring harness, seems to be factory installed. Does anyone know if these units were original equipment, either as an option or as standard equipment? Either way, does anyone have an idea as to where the physical location of the alarm system control unit might be in the vehicle?

Finally, for now, it appears I may need access to behind the dash panel, particularly on the passenger side. Any suggestions??

I have never seen a '90 'close-up and personal' for very long so ... IF you have the 'old fashion' inside door handle (looks like all other Avanti's) the removal tool will work. The handle is held on by a simple spring clip. The TRICK is to place the tool in the right place (you may have to remove the armrest first (you'll have to remove it anyway if you're removing the door panel). You should have a plastic round bezel behind the handle - behind the bezel is a round plastic (call it a washer if you will). Slide the 'tool' between these two plastic pieces (you aren't going to SEE anything) you just have to Feel your way from the front OR the back as you slide in and out. Before you know it the handle will be loose and will come off.

As far as behind the passenger side instrument panel - same thing - not sure what this car looks like, BUT my '88 has this big one piece carpeted fiberglass cover/shroud to cover the AC/vent/fan etc.. This can be removed with a screw driver (the screws are hidden under the carpet). I never did put mine back on (a pain). I even found the 'computer' stuck under there wedged right behind the front of the instrument panel passenger side. I moved that out as well and never put it back (mounted it on the side of the console).

Don't give up!

Bill

I have never seen a '90 'close-up and personal' for very long so ... IF you have the 'old fashion' inside door handle (looks like all other Avanti's) the removal tool will work. The handle is held on by a simple spring clip. The TRICK is to place the tool in the right place (you may have to remove the armrest first (you'll have to remove it anyway if you're removing the door panel). You should have a plastic round bezel behind the handle - behind the bezel is a round plastic (call it a washer if you will). Slide the 'tool' between these two plastic pieces (you aren't going to SEE anything) you just have to Feel your way from the front OR the back as you slide in and out. Before you know it the handle will be loose and will come off.

As far as behind the passenger side instrument panel - same thing - not sure what this car looks like, BUT my '88 has this big one piece carpeted fiberglass cover/shroud to cover the AC/vent/fan etc.. This can be removed with a screw driver (the screws are hidden under the carpet). I never did put mine back on (a pain). I even found the 'computer' stuck under there wedged right behind the front of the instrument panel passenger side. I moved that out as well and never put it back (mounted it on the side of the console).

Don't give up!

Bill

Thank you for the information. We have been successful in dismanteling the interior of the vehicle without incident. As the shop manual I have is for the Studebaker models, it concentrates on manual windows, so I have decided to take the window adjustment to a glass shop.

One other question has come up in this process. Though it does not concern the current project, how do you remove the shifter handle? We have been able to access the wiring we need by rotating the cover panel, but some future project may need more access.

Again thank you,

Dan

Thank you for the information. We have been successful in dismanteling the interior of the vehicle without incident. As the shop manual I have is for the Studebaker models, it concentrates on manual windows, so I have decided to take the window adjustment to a glass shop.

One other question has come up in this process. Though it does not concern the current project, how do you remove the shifter handle? We have been able to access the wiring we need by rotating the cover panel, but some future project may need more access.

Again thank you,

Dan

The shift handle is secured onto the post/stick by a small 'u' shaped CLIP that is located at the front of the handle. Move the handle to the neutral position or farther in order to access this area. Pry out or use needle nose pliers. You should really get a GM manual (or go to library) lot's of common stuff in these manuals.

Good Luck!