Avanti on cover of Hemmings Classic Car

J Boyle

I'm sure you know by now, but there is a 64 Avanti on the cover of the August HCC.

One question about the car featured...it has a black dash.

Did some 64s come with them?

All I've ever seen is fawn..but then again, I don't know much about the specific changes for '64.

I haven't received my copy of HCC yet so I can only guess you mean the dash inlay for the gauges. As far as I've ever seen, Studebaker Avanti's came with either the fawn dash inlay as fawn or later cars (true '64's and transitional '63/'64 cars) with the walnut tenite inlays. If it's black, someone modified it at some point in time.

1964 models came with the dash the same color as the interior; of course they had the fake wood inlay as well.

Yes, The August issue is out, I received mine in the mail yesterday.

About the dash...the entire padded dash is black. It also has the fake wood inlays.

The owner says it's 100% original....but I've never seen a black dash in a Studebaker Avanti (don't know about IIs).

BTW: awhile back I asked about the color of the felt in the vanity...and was told here that they were black.

Since that time I asked on the SDC forum and several guys with original cars said there's was red..now faded like mine to a maroonish tink.

BTW: The Avanti in HCC also has black felt in the vanity.