82 Headlights

RQB3504

For an '82 to have square sealed beam lights someone had to have changed it at some point as '82 models should have had the '64 style chrome headlight frames and bezels. It wasn't until the 1984 model year (maybe a some late '83s) that the changeover to square sealed beams and rubber bumpers began. Your car must have been retrofitted, which isn't too uncommon. I would think you need to acquire the chrome frames, bezels and seals to accomplish that, plus maybe a few minor parts like screw clips, round headlight retainers, etc. Regardless, those parts in decent condition don't come very cheap anymore when you can find them. I see those parts on Ebay with some regularity. Condition and price is a crap shoot. I don't believe any changes to the fiberglass is necessary which is a big plus.

You can probably come up with the necessary parts from some of the Stude vendors like Jon Myers, Studebaker International or Nostalgic Motors. They can also give you good advice on procedure.

Not directly related, but....I would like to convert my '81 to the round headlight style of the originals; anyone ever done this with aftermarket parts, let me know. Just curious.

The front fiberglass panel and the headlight buckets are available from Studebaker International, so a good body guy can certainly make the conversion. The headache is sourcing the glass lenses and chrome rims...not that they can't be found but they won't be inexpensive in decent shape. By the same token, the same goes for the rectangular frames and lenses. If you do find the parts and perform the conversion, you can at least sell the old parts to somewhat offset the costs of the conversion.

• 6 years later...

RQB-3263 My 81 Avanti has round headlight ....and I am contemplating replacing them with round LED "bulbs"....it looks like Jeep aftermarket will fit right in...Anyone done this successfully ??..Of course im looking for more light and at $160 pair I want to get it right the first time ....BILL RQB3263