Why is the red light on???

cobrajoe74

Can anyone out there tell me what the small red warning light between the tach & speedo indicates? I have the owner's manual for my '82 (RQB3535- 52K orig miles) but in typical Avanti Motors fashion it really doesn't seem to answer this question. The light had started to stay on progressively longer after start up & then go out after driving a few miles - now it doesn't go out. I've yet to put a new exhaust on the car ($$$) and I know there's some small rust holes/leaks in the down pipe in front of the cat (JB Weld in the future when I get it on a lift)...it also still has the original catalytic converter in place. I've owned more contemporary cars with "check engine" lights that when on, though seemingly catastrophic, have only indicated some form of exhaust malfunction. The cars still runs fine-good oil pressure & no overheating-hopefully I don't have a major problem brewing!!! Thanks to all in advance...Joe

I believe that light tells you the electric choke is in operation. If it doesn't go out anymore, it could be the choke doesn't operate properly anymore. Whether it has a sensor I don't know. By that time GM was using computer controlled carburetors on many cars...it could be related to that. Whether Avanti Motors was installing those engines yet I don't know. They seemed to be a year or so behind GM in many things...possibly from buying crate engines for several month's production or even a year's worth to reduce the unit cost.

Haven't driven mine in years, I hate to say, and interestingly, my '80 owners guide

doesn't appear to mention that light. It seems to go on when the key is in the ignition and the

switch is turned to any position other than the locked position. My owner's guide does mention a

seat belt warning light that works in conjunction with the buzzer (perhaps for deaf drivers?), but

doesn't say where it is.... my guess is it's the red light in question. The guide says the buzzer has

a timer, to turn it off (who wants to sit parked in the car listening to the radio with the buzzer blaring

OR with seat belts fastened), so perhaps it turns the light off as well.

Top of page 12 in my owners manual; says the buzzer timer lasts 4 to 8 seconds.

Edited by WayneC

Bruce & Wayne, thanks for the replies. I think Bruce is on the right track as my cars' seatbelt warning light & buzzer work (the light is the larger red light just below the smaller one & goes out when buckled or in 10-15 secs after starting along with the buzzer). I lied actually when I said the car runs fine...it has a repetetive stumble during acceleration (less noticeable when the pedal is floored) which I suspect is due to some electronic tuning problem with the computer contolled carburetor- this would seem to fall in line with an electronic choke light now staying on...I'll have to see if my mechanic can fool with it & get it running better... thanks again, guys...Joe

Seat belt warning light (at least on my 83) is on the console. The small dash red light is the choke on indicator. The larger red light below it is marked "Brake".

Mike...of course you're right...I was going on poor memory without getting into the car...my '82 is the same as yours...in the 10 months that I've owned the car I think its been driven about 200 miles-the 1st time I got back in the car in the dark to leave the local cruise night I forgot where the headlight switches were!!!... at least it's confirmed that the little light is the choke...thanks...Joe