Dash Pad

Jim Cox

I am in the process of restoring the interior on my 63 Avanti. The dash pad is cracked. There are a few companies that offer replacement pads. Studebaker International, Nostalgic Motor Cars and Just Dashes. Everyone says their product is the best. Does anyone have any experience with these companies?. I have also tried to have the dash repaired, but no one local wants to do it.
Thanks,

Jim

Dash.jpg

Dash-2.jpg

It is up to you, but with the condition of that dash, I would just clean it and possibly re-dye it.  A layer of consistent new color will hide much.  I was expecting to see a dash that is practically falling apart, like many are.  

Welcome to the AOAI Forum.  That appears to be well equipped 1963 with power windows and A/C.  I assume that you know that the radio is not for a 1963.    

Thanks, I may try to re-dye it.

The radio is aftermarket. It was put in the car before I got the car.  I have the original radio, but can not handle the tunes on AM only stations.

The car was completely original when I inherited from my dad except the alternator, radio, water pump and the radiator.

Thanks,

Jim

I wasn't aware SI was listing Avanti dash pads again but they were previously the best bang for the buck supplier if they are back again. I believe Dan at Nostalgic is now reproducing them and his should be close/exact to the originals as he has most of the original molds etc. They are not cheap but for a quality repo they should be great. Just dashes has historically also done nice work but I don't know anything about their current status on replacements.

There is also a Calif. outfit that repair them for about $700, just use "dash pad" in the forum search function. 

I suspect as Gary said, with care, glue and dye you could make yours look OK but I think from your pix that the foam is going bad underneath. IAC, if you want driver quality it could look quite good.

Lastly, if you want drive quality not repo, look up a couple of auto upholstery shops in your area. I has a local guy redo a custom dash I built for my 74 and he charged me $300 to cover in high quality vinyl and it looks very nice.

Like this.

mO1zLda.jpg

SI currently is asking $850. Just Dashes and Nostalgic want about $2400. I like the price of SI better, but are you getting what you pay for? Two local upholstery shops say it is a molded dash and can not be recovered correctly because of the pleats in the dash. 

I used the SI dash and had very few problems and I think it look great!

While I was at it I am replacing all the 'wood-grain' overlays, dash and center consoles with a Brushed Aluminum. A lot of tedious work but I think they look great with the black gauges.

On a side note: I need a new latch mechanism for the glove box.  the springs broke internally.  I do not need a exact duplicate but would like a locking latch.

Anybody have a source for a replacement?  I am not against doing a little modification

R2W, I’m thinking of changing my yellowing and peeling brushed aluminum dash and console to the 83 black 20th anniversary style. Any tips you want to share?  Did you have to bend the dash piece or was it already bent?  Thanks, Mike

I bought the Brushed aluminum from Menards (or Home Depot) as the bottom kick plate for doors. I should also mention I am doing the interior in Black so the Brushed neckel really jumps out.

I made cardboard templates from the existing Wood overlays, or what was left of them. I made sure the templates were correct before I very , very slowly cut and filed the metal to the correct shape. one of the harder parts was bending the instrument panel in the correct place and angle.  you only get 1 chance!

I would add some pictures of the instrument panel but I have it boxed up right now until I get ready for it.

I have included the temperature console and the air conditional panels.  The slight curl on the AC panel was a challenge.

If you have a mill it would be easier as all I have is a drill press, hand shears and files.

Good luck

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased and installed Nastalgics new dash with no issues, it fit perfect.  I have another one I would sell for $300 plus shipping.  I do not know the source of this older dash pad as I purchased it on eBay years ago.  I had one small crack at the glove box that has been repaired and it has been died a lighter beige color than original fawn color.  I had problems making it fit on my restoration so just gave up and bought a newer one from Nostalgic.   It is still relatively soft and flexible and would be good for somebody willing to take the time to make if fit right.  Send me a note at r3forward@gmail.com if you are interested.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, annasanders12 said:

I recently finished installing Studebaker Radio and somehow doesn't fit. 

Are you referring to a correct Studebaker Avanti radio or one of the Custom Autosound radios that your link takes me to?  I now see that you list a 1989 Avanti.  If that is the car in question, the dash has nothing to do with a Studebaker.  

13 hours ago, studegary said:

Are you referring to a correct Studebaker Avanti radio or one of the Custom Autosound radios that your link takes me to?  I now see that you list a 1989 Avanti.  If that is the car in question, the dash has nothing to do with a Studebaker.  

Agree with Gary. You can probably use a single DIN modern radio in your opening. Check with a decent audio like Crutchfield for dimensions. If they fit, the good news is you can have about any modern convenience that's offered in modern radios currently.