Replacement Engine

GAWen

Last month I ordered a Pro-Built Pro Series 2 1971 Corvette engine to replace the original L48 engine in my 1971 Avanti. The new engine is a 4 bolt main block with 9.1:1 compression, rated at 330 Hp, 350Lb. Ft. I am having a Edelbrock 2101 intake and a Edelbrock 1406 Carb installed. This should boost the outptut a few numbers. Today I was at the shop that is doing the work and compared the block casting numbers, and to my surprise they are the same. Ergo, my new engine wes cast on the same day as the original engine. How strange is that ??? BTW, the L48 is a 2 bolt main block.

George

RQB 1600

Wow, that IS an amazing coincidence! Be careful with all that horsepower, now.

Just out of curiosity, how did you choose the engine?

Why did you choose it over, say, a GM ZZ4 or a ZZ383?

Originally I wanted to go with a ZZ4 and a 700R4. But last month my employer cut my work schedule by 1/3. Ergo a matching lose of income. I then reduced my target on the Avanti in order to keep my finances in order.

George

• 3 weeks later...

RQB1600 came home today, the new engine is running fine, now to take her to the smog station tomorrow and see if the tailpipe cops say I am legal. For $4,000.000 I should be legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Today the smoke escaped from the main wiring harness of my Avanti. I just hate it when that happens. I got the fire out before any damage was done to the body, but the main wiring harness is toast. Where can I get a new (NOS or Reproduction harness ???) for a 1971?

George Wendell

RQB 1600

BrownWtrSailr@aol.com

I would check with Dan and Betty Booth at Nostalgic Motors. I've been told they're retiring. I don't know how true that is but Betty has been putting a lot of NOS stuff on Ebay lately. Since they bought out Avanti Motors of parts back in the late 1980's, if anyone would have a wiring harness, they would. I've not heard of any kind of reproduction harnesses on the market...Avanti Motors made their own from what I've read, and the harness changed regularly as model years went by and equipment changed.

If you're completely unable to find a replacement harness, you might try a universal harness and modern fuse block that Painless sells. It's for hot rods and custom vehicles (which an Avanti II is). It would take some work to run it, but it might end up being the best bet. Summit Racing and Jegs sells identical universal harnesses under their own names as well.

I spoke at length today with Dan, a really fantastic individual, he sells a reproduction harness for the Avanti II's, but he is currently out of stock. It may take up to 6 months for him to get new stock. I can't wait that long. So I guess, I'll just have to build my own wiring harness. Did it once before for my 1950 Commander Star Light Coupe. But it is a PITA.

George Wendell

Try LectricLimited <http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm>. They make reproduction wiring harnesses and may be able to make a new one for you with your harness as a donor. Google "automotive wiring harnesses" and there's a number of other places that might be able to help...even if it's nothing more than supplying you the correct color and striped wires and connectors.

Today the smoke escaped from the main wiring harness of my Avanti. I just hate it when that happens.

I can empathize.

Happened to me on my '71 about 20 years ago... in heavy traffic on a Los Angeles freeway without a shoulder,

when I suddenly lost all accessories and instruments. My first clue was when the aftermarket cruise control I

had recently installed abruptly dropped out of cruise, and the ammeter pegged, but I had to get to an exit to stop;

I thought I'd done something wrong while installing the cruise wiring. By the time I got to the exit I could

see and smell smoke. I pulled over as soon as I could and turned off the ignition key but the engine kept running

and the harness kept smoking until I was able to disconnect a battery cable. By then the burn(s) trashed everthing

to within about 2 to 4 inches of the hole in the firewall, but was otherwise confined to the engine compartment;

all wiring insulation therein was completely melted. I don't think anything else was harmed, except maybe the

alternator diodes. As it turned out, the harness had rubbed against the passenger-side hood latch until it wore

through the insulation and shorted out... apparently a harness fastener in that area had come loose, allowing the

insulation damage over time and I didn't notice it.

I was a couple of blocks from a hardware store, so I walked there and purchased some wire, terminals, and a

wire-crimping tool and managed to get it running again to complete the 50-mile trek home. I replaced

the rest of the wiring myself at home, soldering the splices. Still looks pretty ugly near the firewall (I keep

forgetting to look for a decent-looking plastic box of an appropriate size to cover the bulge of all those

splices), and I couldn't find the insulation colors to replicate the original wiring colors. I used electrical tape,

and the split flexible-plastic tubing used on later automobiles, to hide more ugly repairs and the

mis-matched colors. It was tedious but it worked out fine. If I'd had to replace wiring under the dash, it

might've turned out to be a really, really nasty task.

• 2 months later...

I'd imagine the stude and avanti II harnesses are quite similar. Call Studebaker's West - they make wiring harnesses for all studes.

I spoke at length today with Dan, a really fantastic individual, he sells a reproduction harness for the Avanti II's, but he is currently out of stock. It may take up to 6 months for him to get new stock. I can't wait that long. So I guess, I'll just have to build my own wiring harness. Did it once before for my 1950 Commander Star Light Coupe. But it is a PITA.

George Wendell