Custom rims & tire sizes

okc63avanti

I would be interested in what rims and tire sizes people are running on original Avanti cars. My car is a 63 and I am having it restored and modified currently.

It would seem that 15" x 6" or 15" x 7" custom wheels would work with the correct backspacing; however, this limits you to a P215/75R14 or P205/75R15 which are mostly speed rated at S,R or T. I would like to find a touring tire that is speed rated H or above and they are hard to find in a 15" diameter tire. The diameter of a P215/75R15 (27.7") is closest to the original 6.70 X 15 bias tire.

Is there anyone running a 16" x 7" wheel that could run a lower and wider profile in a 70 or 65 width but still be a similar overall diameter and not interfere with the fenders and tie-rods, etc? My car will be fitted with Turner brakes and the quick turn radius steering arm when redone.

If you have or know of someone with a similar set up and can provide wheel rim details (make, diam, back spacing) and tire size I would appreciate it.

There's at least one member here who is running 16" Mustang rims on his car. I think one of the limiting factors on any Avanti is the front coil springs...if they've sagged at all over the years you'll have problems with many wheel/tire clearance at least when bottoming out or hitting bumps. Make sure you have good springs before making any deviation from stock wheel or tire sizes.

My '78 Avanti (Studebaker suspension/steering) has 7" Magnum 500 rims with 215x70 tires. These fit OK, but when the steering arms were changed to the shorter, quick steering type, the inside of the rims just touch the front of the upper control arms on a full-lock turn. If you are considering the quick steering arms, you may not want to go to 7".

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

I have seen some magnum 500 style and American Racing Torque D rims in 15" x 6". Maybe that would be a better fit. It just seems that you are limited to the number of tires available when you go with P215/75 or P205/75 widths that are speed rated at "H" (130 MPH) and above. maybe the 70 widths will work on the 15" x 6" rims.