Engine and transmission removal

28meter

Does anyone know if I can remove the engine and transmission as one unit. I have a '63 r2 with automatic. The repair manual doesn't mention whether this is posible or not. It looks like a piece of cake especially with the intake, heads, ignition sytem, radiator and all belt driven items removed. I am doing an engine bay detail job and have decided that I won't get it just right with the engine in the way.

Thanks from Jim

I have heard that pulls right out... but looking at that small hole and big engine makes me dread pulling mine. However when I get my '53 back together I know I need to rebuild the Avanti mill. A friend in Wisconsin assures me that the correct way is to pull the whole unit in one piece using one of those "levelers" so you can really lift the front.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if I can remove the engine and transmission as one unit. I have a '63 r2 with automatic. The repair manual doesn't mention whether this is posible or not. It looks like a piece of cake especially with the intake, heads, ignition sytem, radiator and all belt driven items removed. I am doing an engine bay detail job and have decided that I won't get it just right with the engine in the way.

Thanks from Jim

I am interested in what and how you did the engine removal. I may pull my R2 out of my 64 and do an engine rebuild. thanks in advance

Mark

Thanks from Jim

I just pulled and reinstalled the engine and tranny from my 83 Avanti.

I know yours is all Studebaker but I believe my experience is revelant. I believe the Stude motor is wider and heavier than the SBC. After much looking, I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a transmission jack ($74 -20%) and am glad I did. I then pulled the engine seperately from the tranny. 

The problem is the length of the combo and the need to lift them high enough to clear the front end. In most vehicles you can pull the grill and radiator and have almost a straight pull to remove the assembly. If you have a tall tree or a gantry that's 10 + ft high it could work but you still have about 1000# in the air with all those worries as well as the need to level a nearly verticle assembly about 4 + ft long.

I put it back the same way, seperately.

There a few tricks to make it work easily but it's to lengthly to put here. Also, be sure you have three people, two will work but the extra pair of hands is of great value.

If you want to talk about it, send me an email and I'll send you my phone number for further discussion.

Bob

I just pulled and reinstalled the engine and tranny from my 83 Avanti.

I know yours is all Studebaker but I believe my experience is revelant. I believe the Stude motor is wider and heavier than the SBC. After much looking, I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a transmission jack ($74 -20%) and am glad I did. I then pulled the engine seperately from the tranny. 

The problem is the length of the combo and the need to lift them high enough to clear the front end. In most vehicles you can pull the grill and radiator and have almost a straight pull to remove the assembly. If you have a tall tree or a gantry that's 10 + ft high it could work but you still have about 1000# in the air with all those worries as well as the need to level a nearly verticle assembly about 4 + ft long.

I put it back the same way, seperately.

There a few tricks to make it work easily but it's to lengthly to put here. Also, be sure you have three people, two will work but the extra pair of hands is of great value.

If you want to talk about it, send me an email and I'll send you my phone number for further discussion.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the information. I have printed your answer and shared it with my mechanic. Also I spoke with Dave Thiebolt and will probably do it in my mechanics shop using his lift,hoist,supports & 30 years of experiences!!! I will post the job with photos if and when this project starts and ends. Of course all this will wait until State Farm settles the accident damage currently in a "hold position"

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the engine and transmission out as one in my '63 R-1. And reinstalled them together as well. I used a Harbor Freight hoist with the leveler. It was tight but I some how managed. With my set up I don't think I could have managed to pull them seperaterately. I also didn't think I'd be able to bolt the transmission up under the car. There's not much clearance between the transmission and the tunnel.

RD maxon

R-3266