Rack & Pinion steering

Tyger

Recently purchased a 63 Avanti which has a Chrysler 440 CID engine installed in it. This motor has been in it since 1971, to fit the motor the Stude steering was removed and a small box with centerlink installed to make it fit the donor steering adjustment sleeves were welded to the Studebaker adjustment sleeves. I'm loathe to drive the car with this Mickey Mouse steering. Having searched the net a GM J-car Rack & Pinion has been fitted to some Avantis. I am curious to here from anyone who has done such a changeover and if it was a benefit. Is the bumpsteer worse or the same. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tyger

Recently purchased a 63 Avanti which has a Chrysler 440 CID engine installed in it. This motor has been in it since 1971, to fit the motor the Stude steering was removed and a small box with centerlink installed to make it fit the donor steering adjustment sleeves were welded to the Studebaker adjustment sleeves. I'm loathe to drive the car with this Mickey Mouse steering. Having searched the net a GM J-car Rack & Pinion has been fitted to some Avantis. I am curious to here from anyone who has done such a changeover and if it was a benefit. Is the bumpsteer worse or the same. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tyger

Well, we've done it and the Bumpsteer was measured at nil(<1/8") by the shop who fabbed the bracketry.(believed they used an ART gauge?) They're primarily a Custom Dune Buggy shop so they had a good understanding of suspension systems. The biggest problem we faced was the centerlink tie-in under an LS2 motor. Had to chop that oilpan considerably. As for driving impressions, well, that's still a TBD, but I'm probably wthin a month or so. Of course all the other changes will likely coverup any single alteration. Other changes? Active Airbag suspension, four-link rear, that LS2 unloads about 200lbs off the front end, so I'm expecting alot.