battery in trunk

63 Avanti R2

I'm taking a poll on having the battery in the trunk or in the engine compartment.

Right now it's in the trunk and I'm doing a off the body restoration.

Should I leave it where it is or put it back in the engine compartment?

Thanks

Steve from MN

I'm taking a poll on having the battery in the trunk or in the engine compartment.

Right now it's in the trunk and I'm doing a off the body restoration.

Should I leave it where it is or put it back in the engine compartment?

Thanks

Steve from MN

If you want it close to original put it in the engine compartment on drivers side. If you need engine compartment room for adding other none stock equipment leave it in the trunk. Restoration implies like new. Have fun with your project.

If you want it close to original put it in the engine compartment on drivers side. If you need engine compartment room for adding other none stock equipment leave it in the trunk. Restoration implies like new. Have fun with your project.

Like Gary said, Depends on what your goal with the car is. Enjoy.

I had a 1967 (RQA0189) and I had to repair the left-front inner wheel-well twice due to cracks from the weight of the battery. Maybe it is better to have the battery in the trunk.

Thanks Ernie...thats what one of the members of my stude club was saying with his 63 R-1. that the weight was a issue with his car. He said to leave it in the trunk.

Steve

How stock is the car going to be?

If you're going stock, leave it in the front...if not, put it in the trunk.

One of the reasons people put them in the trunk is to reduce the 60%-40% front weight bias. Anything you can do to lose weight in the front will help that and improve handling. That's why people put in modern AC compressors, aluminum pulleys (from Lionel Stone) and replace the heavy stock Studebaker steel wheels with lighter ones (Ford steel or aftermarket "mags").

If you're doing anything major to the drive train to make it other than stock, I'd suggest any or all of those changes.

But if you're trying to keep it stock...might as well go all the way and leave the battery where God and Stuidebaker intended.

BTW...I haven't read much about battery weight induced cracks. I'm not sayingthey don't happen, but they don't seem to be a big problem on solid cars without damage.

How stock is the car going to be?

If you're going stock, leave it in the front...if not, put it in the trunk.

One of the reasons people put them in the trunk is to reduce the 60%-40% front weight bias. Anything you can do to lose weight in the front will help that and improve handling. That's why people put in modern AC compressors, aluminum pulleys (from Lionel Stone) and replace the heavy stock Studebaker steel wheels with lighter ones (Ford steel or aftermarket "mags").

If you're doing anything major to the drive train to make it other than stock, I'd suggest any or all of those changes.

But if you're trying to keep it stock...might as well go all the way and leave the battery where God and Stuidebaker intended.

BTW...I haven't read much about battery weight induced cracks. I'm not sayingthey don't happen, but they don't seem to be a big problem on solid cars without damage.

Agree 100%! My '70 had stress cracks under the battery when I bought it, but then the car had been struck in the left front sometime during it's history and had poor repairs done to it. Since you have a '63, I'm assuming you have the long, narrow 3EE battery. If you decide to change it to a trunk location, get a standard size battery such as a Group 24 which fits the later Avanti's. Also, standard size batteries are less expensive, than a 3EE, more powerful (in far more choices of quality level) and have better warranties. You can check Summit Racing and Jeg's and they each sell trunk mounted battery kits with a box, hold downs, etc. A trunk mounted battery should be shielded from anything in the trunk hitting the positive post. You should also use a heavier gauge positive cable from the battery to the starter due to the extra length needed.

Agree 100%! My '70 had stress cracks under the battery when I bought it, but then the car had been struck in the left front sometime during it's history and had poor repairs done to it. Since you have a '63, I'm assuming you have the long, narrow 3EE battery. If you decide to change it to a trunk location, get a standard size battery such as a Group 24 which fits the later Avanti's. Also, standard size batteries are less expensive, than a 3EE, more powerful (in far more choices of quality level) and have better warranties. You can check Summit Racing and Jeg's and they each sell trunk mounted battery kits with a box, hold downs, etc. A trunk mounted battery should be shielded from anything in the trunk hitting the positive post. You should also use a heavier gauge positive cable from the battery to the starter due to the extra length needed.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Gunslinger....the battery was in the trunk when I purchased it, and the party I bought it from purchased it that way.

When I read some of these replys I lean toward putting in the front. But, reading about the 3EE battery (which does belong there) doesn't seem to be practical. So maybe I should leave it in the trunk for quality purposes. I have a ways to go before I decide.

The car doesn't have any front damage.

thanks again

Steve

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

When I had my '70 completely rebuilt, I considered a trunk location for the battery, if for no other reason than get some weight off the front end, but ultimately I left it up front. I didn't want to lose any trunk space, and after the body shop did their magic on repairing the poor earlier repairs on the car, made it feasible to leave the battery in the stock location. The custom shop that installed the engine and transmission, also reinforced the battery location and installed a battery hold down made for the Optima battery and it looks great.

Of course, the car doesn't take a 3EE battery as '63 Avanti's do, so the inner fender body contours are different. The 3EE is an industrial battery and can't always be found, though farm and tractor shops often carry it. What I have seen done on one '63 Avanti is use two Optima 6 volt batteries...They're narrow and long and take up no more or even less space than a 3EE. The owner connected them in series for 12 volts. It was a nice looking installation though I'm not sure I would do it...those Optima 6V batteries are quite expensive.

FYI on the 3EE Battery. You can purchase it at Car Quest auto stores. The list price is $149.00, which is on the high end.

The CA @ 32 degrees F is 485

The CCA @ 0 degrees F is 400

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about relocating my battery to the trunk as it uses the 3EE battery as well. An additional question for those who have done this is as follows: What do you use the old battery space for? I am converting my R1 to an R2+ with AC so I will not have a surge tank. Anyone use the battery space for radiator surge tank and/or windshield washer reservoir ???

The best place for a radiator overflow tank is on the front right bulkhead next to the hood hinge. It's as perfect a spot as you'll find. The washer reservoir bag should go on the right side inner panel just ahead of the blower motor. That's the space it goes in when the car came factory equipped with one. If you have the parts manual, the engine bay exploded diagram will show the location. Save the battery space for clearance of an a/c compressor.