Rear Axle Identity

Jim78

The rear axle on my '78 (RQB-2758) appears unlike the Dana units used by Studebaker. The only tag on it is the ratio (3.07:1). Would this be a GM axle? Am I safe in assuming that I don't need to pack the outer bearings with grease, like the Dana?

It should be a Dana 44 like the Stude Avanti's. It should be a flanged axle rather than the standard tapered axles Studebaker used on R1 and R2 cars, but some Avanti II's received tapered axles, but I don't think it's known how many and until when that was done. It seems during the early years they used whatever was on the shelf and I've heard of the occasional Avanti II with tapered axles into the 1970's. I've seen no information of a change away from the Dana. I would think it was used until the changeover to the GM platform in the mid-1980's. There was a change in the rear brakes about 1971, so the backing plates and drums might appear different.

The 3.07 axle ratio was an optional ratio prior to 1976 and car RQB2374 as the 3.31 was standard. At car RQB2374 the 3.07 was made standard. You lose a bit of acceleration with the 3.07 but gain some top end and improved fuel economy which was possibly the reason for the change.

As far as whether you still have to pack the rear axle bearings by hand I don't know. If you have tapered axles...yes. If you have flanged axles I don't know. Hopefully someone here who knows for sure can answer that.

Yes, flanged axle Dana 44's still need to have the outer bearings packed with grease by hand.

Also, if you're unsure as to which kind of axle you have, an easy way to identify it is too look in a catalog like Summit Racing or Jeg's. Usually they will have a chart showing the shapes of different differential housings, and you can identify it that way.