avanti red paint

28meter

Avanti Red was at the time considered an iridescent red. I used to call it "burnt red" as it was deeper than a tomato red with what would be later called a "metallic" look to it. BTW, the maroon appeared only on verty late production '64's, probably no earlier than November 1963 production Avantis.

Avanti Red was at the time considered an iridescent red. I used to call it "burnt red" as it was deeper than a tomato red with what would be later called a "metallic" look to it. BTW, the maroon appeared only on verty late production '64's, probably no earlier than November 1963 production Avantis.

R-5361 was the first Avanti painted Avanti Maroon. It was built September 30, 1963. My late brothers Avanti was also Avanti Maroon, R-5461, built in October, 1963.

Bob

Of course if the car had its original Avanti Red paint job at this point it would probably need repainting anyway, so why not offer what you would for one needing repainting?

• 2 months later...

I'm having my Avanti restored now and have decided to go away from the original paint colors. The Avanti red seems to be to orange red for me. Since I'm doing safety and performance mods to mine, I don't feel so bad about going away from original colors. Right now I'm looking at a Chrysler Crimson red as I am an University of Alabama "Crimson Tide" alumnus.

• 13 years later...

(Old post)....Many have said that '63 Studebaker Avanti "AVANTI RED" exterior paint color is very similar (if not the same) as '62 Chevrolet Corvette red. (Honduras Maroon?)

I don't know if this is true or not.:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Studebaker did have a color called "regal red" in 1963, which was a fire engine red, and I've seen in on Larks.  It was never offered on the Avanti though.  If one wasn't too much of a purist, one could go with that, and at least it would be a Studebaker color, though not accurate for the Avanti.  The Avanti red was a metallic "tomato red" with a hint of orange in it (I think that may come from the metallic flakes in the paint being gold instead of silver colored; I read somewhere that was the case).  It's a good looking color, but I had my car repainted, and I wanted to use a non-metallic color, as you can't make an invisible touch up to metallic paint.  I almost went with the regal red, as I really think red looks good on an Avanti, but in the end, I wanted to stay more original, and went with one of the only two non-metallic colors Studebaker offered for this car: Avanti white.  I only did that after much hesitation, as I really like red on Avantis, and I have never been a huge fan of white as a car color.  I have to say, having gone the white, I am very glad I did.  Avanti white is not a bright white, it's an eggshell white, almost exactly the same as Ford's Wimbledon white, and I think it looks great on an Avanti.