63 Avanti Rear Brake Drum Removal

63 Avanti R2

Looking at my workshop manual it says: "Use Hub puller J-1644-S and remove hub and drum assembly"

Is this like basically like my 55 commanders rear brakes.

Steve

used a standard hub puller, borrowed from the Auto store. plus a few wacks with sledge hammer.

Used PBlaster, tightened the puller, a couple of wacks, more PBlaster, tightened the puller, waited overnight for penetration, repeat until it all worked.

• 2 months later...

When you put those hubs back on... CLEAN the inside of the hub and the taper... get all of the oil, BPBlaster & crud off. Take a piece of blackboard chalk and draw several rings or diagonal lines on the taper. When you put the hub back on, it will not sieze... but the chalk does not give lubrication which will enable the hub to get too tight and crack. The next time you pull it, you will thank me for the advice!

Thanks DM. I believe I'll try your tip. RD

When you put those hubs back on... CLEAN the inside of the hub and the taper... get all of the oil, BPBlaster & crud off. Take a piece of blackboard chalk and draw several rings or diagonal lines on the taper. When you put the hub back on, it will not sieze... but the chalk does not give lubrication which will enable the hub to get too tight and crack. The next time you pull it, you will thank me for the advice!