VIN verification

28meter

I want to make sure that I know how to decipher Avanti VIN #s How does the VIN show the difference between R-1 and R-2 models? My understanding is that the R-2 have the year then rs then 4 digits? Is there a way to know what the original exterior and interior colors were like looking up studebaker records or some thing? I am considering the purchase of a 63 r-2 VIN 63R1727....does that make sense?

Any words of wisdom will be grewatly appreciated.

In March of 1963 Studebaker dropped the year designator from VIN's. As far as the "S" in the VIN, I've read that was supposed to be the way the VIN's were done, but few seem to have followed that. Most, if not all R2 cars I've seen simply have R-XXXX in the VIN.

To find out exactly how the car you're considering was spec'd out for assembly at the factory, you can get a copy of the car's build sheet from either the Studebaker National Museum or Nostalgic Motors. There's something like a $20 fee for the service and it serves to prove or disprove the car's originality.

In March of 1963 Studebaker dropped the year designator from VIN's. As far as the "S" in the VIN, I've read that was supposed to be the way the VIN's were done, but few seem to have followed that. Most, if not all R2 cars I've seen simply have R-XXXX in the VIN.

To find out exactly how the car you're considering was spec'd out for assembly at the factory, you can get a copy of the car's build sheet from either the Studebaker National Museum or Nostalgic Motors. There's something like a $20 fee for the service and it serves to prove or disprove the car's originality.

Thanks for you expertise Gunslinger! Hopefully this car will meet my expectations....I am flying to LA tomorrow to do an inspection.

I hope the car does meet your expectations. These are wonderful cars...they have their eccentricities, but that can add to their uniqueness. There's a lot of knowledge here amongst the membership, so don't be afraid to ask.

THATS what it is! On what page of the shop manual can I find out about those?

LOL...welcome to the club.

Jim Wood

Nevermind, my wife informed me that this applies to the owner and not the car.

Jim Wood

I paid $25.00 for the build sheet and $3.00 for shipping about 2 weeks ago at the stude museum.

63 Avanti 63R2585 build in jan 63

Steve