Center cowling drains

Mel

The cowling at the base of the windshield feeds air to the vents on the side kick panels and to the air inlet for the heater just above the right vent. Under the center of each cowling grill is a raised 1-1/2" OD 'fitting' which feeds through behind the dash. A flexible hose attaches to this fitting (behind the dash) which then, on my '66 anyway, empties into the front of the transmission shifter mounting and onto the ground. The only function I can see these would serve is if the water outlets under the side vents were so completely plugged that the water backed up into the cowling so high that it ran over and spilled into them to drain out the bottom; however, prior to the water getting this high, the water would leak into the kick panel vents and spill into the heater plenum. The only other function I can see for these is if they feed into the A/C system and mine have been 'rerouted' by a previous owner. If not, I'm thinking of plugging these up. Anyone have any input/thoughts?

Don't plug them up. The hose on the right side feeds fresh air to the ventilation system. The one on the left is to feed cooling air to the transmission tunnel and shifter. It was added by Studebaker after a certain point due to issues of heat in the transmission tunnel and shifter. It was only supposed to be in non-a/c cars because of space limitations, but a/c cars probably needed the help the most. My '70 has both and it's an a/c car so maybe Avanti Motors added the second hose as normal procedure.