1988 Vin Numbers

Bob L

Can anyone tell me where to look on the frame of my 1988 silver anniversary Avanti so I can learn what chassis was used by Avanti to build my car? Thanks Bob L

It will be on the Dash.About two inches in fron the left corner of the windshield. There are no numbers on the frame that I know of. Frames were both El Camino & Monte Carlo's. With no particular order. I have #21 its a El Camino. Judging from the parts I have replaced on it.

Karl

Can anyone tell me where to look on the frame of my 1988 silver anniversary Avanti so I can learn what chassis was used by Avanti to build my car? Thanks Bob L

From what I have seen the El Camino and the Monte Carlo are the same except that the El Camino frame rails are longer.

Here is the info that was given to me by the members on the www.montecarloss.com website.

There are a few locations on the car that the VIN number (or partial VIN) appear:

Left Side Dash at windshield (the obvious place)

On the engine block ID pad, behind the alternator, above the waterpump.

Optional engine block location, next to oil filter attachment point.

On the transmission, driver's side, above pan, toward rear

On the rear axle, (left or right side) adjacent to carrier

On the battery (the likelyhood that the original battery is still there is very remote)

On the alternator, top drive end frame

On the starter, outer case, toward rear

In addition to the locations listed above, the complete VIN can be found stamped into frame on the top of the rail just below the passenger's door. It's really hard to get at with the body on the frame. This location has been mentioned on the board before but with some reluctance due to questions about a poster's motives in one case.

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

• 1 month later...

When I dropped my original 63 off in Youngstown Oh to have them reproduce a SA LE by using my original 63 Avanti (new front clip/SA LE front rear bumpers, new quarter I toured the factory on many occasions with plant manager, Larry Gentile, and at that time I distinctly recall being told the that they were using the Chevy-Impala frames (1987/and chopping them). If you have the 307 engine then that's what you have. The later went to the 350. I put a 1978 350 4 bolt main in mine. It's for sale if you know of anyone interested. I put $33k into restoration project - has new SA LE dash board and gray leather interior and looks identical to the 25 coupes produced in 1989. It's the Only 63 ever upgraded to 89 SA LE model. Has orignal 4 spped with Borg-Warner T10 tranny. Photos available. Take care. TKP (989-600-3171)