Auto Shift Lever Gets Really Hot

Stuart Suede

I have a question.  My 1963 (Serial Number R4581) is an R1 with automatic and A/C.  Last weekend, I drove from L.A. to Palm Springs and back - both with the A/C on (which was working correctly, cycling on and off).  Even so, the interior was just comfortable.  I could not believe how much heat was coming from the automatic shift lever.  Is this normal operation?  Has anyone figured out how to make it so the heat transfer from the transmission does not transfer to the passenger compartment?  Thanks.

That's pretty much normal for a '63.  Beginning with the '64 model year Studebaker made some changes...they added an additional vent in the cowl with an inlet directing cooling air to that area to address the issue.  Even then the result was only partly successful.  Studebaker even designed a transparent cover for the quadrant to act as an insulator but I don't know if anyone has ever actually seen one of those installed.  

5 hours ago, studegary said:

Studebaker Service Letter F-1964-6 is for the Console Cooling Kit.  The problem for you is that this kit is only for Avantis without A/C.    

That's true,....the console cooling kit cannot be used in A/C models due to the evaporator assy being in the way.:(

1 hour ago, bob caser said:

I will stand corrected if I am wrong , but I have a Avanti with factory air that has the cooling kit with the two hoses. Perhaps mine is just odd.  ball  (R5487)

Bob Caser

Your Avanti is late enough (1964 model assembled in October 1963) to have the later console cooling built into it.  What I referred to is the retrofit kit for earlier/1963 Avantis.  

I just replaced those cooling hoses on a 69 Avanti with AC. The original lacquered cloth hoses were totally rotted away.  I use Washing machine drain hose, and the rubber end on it fits the factory fittings perfectly. 

21 hours ago, dynolou2 said:

Is there any chance that your car has been fitted with the exhaust system with a crossover pipe toward the rear of the transmission?    Just thinking it could be an extra source of heat.  Lou Cote

Not sure about Stuart’s car... but ‘ol #388 still has the original equipped dual exhaust system w/o the crossover pipe.  With any luck I’ll get a call off to Silvertone someday when my wife isn’t lookin... 😉 

I'll guess R4581 has the fresh air intakes under the grille below the windshield.  Look up under the dash and find them, then connect some type of automotive conduit hose, I think @ 1.5" to the flange and route it to the shift console.  There's a "ram air" type effect at the base of the windshield and will force air into the conduit and through the shifter quadrant area..

• 4 months later...

Yes, after even a short run with 63R3062 the interior shifter metal gets very hot, indeed. Part of the Avanti's charm...😁.  Thahks for the info that the cooling kit doesn't work with early 63s with AC.

I have made retrofit cooling kits from hardware store plumbing supplies. Even on 63 Avantis with AC. 

Others have noted lower temps after installing the Saturn air dam on the bottom of the radiator core support. Supposedly, the dam causes turbulence that helps cool the tunnel and underside of the floor, and increases air flow through the radiator. I plan to add one to my '63 if I can ever find one. What I am doing is insulating the tunnel and floor pan with DEI heat shield, which is made for use under the car. With that and insulation throughout the interior, it should be cooler and quieter inside, although I'm a few months away from driving it.