time for kingpins?

James T

Here's my situation - after installing the Turner brake kit (and shortening the wheel studs to accomodate the Borrani wire wheels), I have a slight amount of vertical wheel movement. I've readjusted the wheel bearings, made sure the knockoffs are tight, and yet the wheel can still be moved by grasping at the top and bottom and shaking it. Not much, but I'm not comfortable with any movement.

Does this indicate it's time to replace king pin bushings? It's a '77 with only 59K miles, very gently driven. I have greased the king pins and insured that grease came out of both the top and bottom. No improvement.

Appreciate any experiences with replacing/rebuilding king pins, entire front end suspension, etc.

Sounds like king-pins. On trucks I watch the brake backing plate while moving the tire, if it moves with the tire you have play in the king-pins. If it doesnt move with the tire the wheel bearings are loose.

Jim Wood

Remember that you are dealing with king pins, not ball joints. Don't expect that there will be no movement in the wheel. Jack the car under the lower control arm. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and shake. With the help of an assistant, you should be able to see if the play is in the wheel bearings, the king pins or the control arm bushings. Because the steering knuckle is so short, any play in the king pins is amplified at the wheel diameter. The shop manual doesn't give a quantitative description of what is too much wear, so it becomes a judgement call. It's not like the spindle is going to come off as with bad ball joints. Don't get too excited about a little wear. OTOH, if the wheel moves more than 1/4" top vs. bottom, you may want to re-do the pins.