uh oh, sat/pepper vs solid at 1064

tsterkel

17 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Your car isn't an exception to what I stated (But, the last sentence of my second paragraph (above) should be striken (reason: misleading.).  According to the Avanti Color & Uph Selector book the Fawn & Black "salt & pepper"carpets could have come with either the Fawn & Elk or Fawn & Black upholstery.  And, the Fawn & Elk interior is the only interior color that could have come with black carpets.  Further, the only exterior colors available with BOTH Fawn & Elk uph. AND Fawn & Black carpets were Avanti Black and Avanti White.  

So, we can conclude that your Avanti # 63R1379's exterior must have been either Avanti Black or Avanti White.  (Unless, of course, someone ordered the car with an out-of-normal combination.)

--Dwight

Great research Dwight...however, I do have the P.O. for my '63, (63R1379), this car was painted 'Avanti Gold' when new, yet it did indeed come with salt & pepper (tan & black) carpeting.  There isn't any notation on the P.O. about a special order...??????????:huh:

PS...When I restored this Avanti in 1990, I painted it my favorite Studebaker Avanti color...'Avanti Turquoise'...but it indeed left the factory in late '62 dressed in 'Avanti Gold'.:)

20220103_172132.thumb.jpg.386a437e3786a581c1feff818a740b82.jpg

7 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Yes, according to the 1963 Avanti Color & Upholstery Selector book a Fawn & Black interior was available with any color exterior.  So, I assume the same rules would apply to the late-1963 813BKV interior option.

--Dwight

According to sales letter 158 dated 5/6/63, the 813 BKV option was available with all exterior colors.

Edited by 64studeavanti

9 hours ago, lschuc said:

I can't make out the serial number on your production order, but it begins with R-45xx  so what is the full serial number?   Your production order says that your Avanti was tagged 99 Las Vegas Driveaway.   So it should be listed among all the driveaway cars on pages 20 and 21 of Avanti Magazine Issue 195 last fall.  

Because it is a 1963 model, it would have had speckled carpet, black and some other color, probably black and red speckled carpet.   Over 60 years of use and several owners, it very well could have had the carpets replaced with all black carpets.   What color is the carpet on the. bottom of your door panels?  

Since you're in Finland,  email Dan Booth at avantisrus@gmail.com   and you can ask about his Born reports and see if anything mentions carpets.

Hi Ischuc. Sorry I thought you see serial number from my profile R4543. The car is in the list of Avanti Magazine Las Vegas Driveaway Cars.
Carpet on the floor and bottom of door panels are red/black. Seems to me old and original. I will email to Dan Booth because I have an other question also:
I dont have Windshield Washer. Nothing remains there has been washer. To me seems that washer has been option which has not been chosen. First owner lived in California, Santa Ana.

IMG_2525.JPG

Recently took R-1454 down to original firewall padding, heater out. Remnants of solid black carpet matched the original build sheet and born report for this Avanti Gold, fawn and elk car with deluxe, not regal interior; often the last pieces of the original carpet are pinched between the heater and the firewall pad above the accelerator.

14 minutes ago, Ntenna said:

Recently took R-1454 down to original firewall padding, heater out. Remnants of solid black carpet matched the original build sheet and born report for this Avanti Gold, fawn and elk car with deluxe, not regal interior; often the last pieces of the original carpet are pinched between the heater and the firewall pad above the accelerator.

Interesting!...Once again, my '63 is/was an Avanti Gold, fawn and elk car...but came with the tan & black 'salt & pepper carpeting.....It does sound though that more '63 Avantis with this same exterior/interior came with the solid black carpeting.