FLUID FOR PAXTON

MARK

I just bought a 64 R2 that replace my damaged 73 RQB1913 during a Fl to NJ transport. Regarding the Paxton, where the dip stick pulls out, is that hole used to add fluid? Where do I acquire the proper fluid as the book calls for transmission type A? Also, is there a drain if I want to do a fluid change?

thanks, Mark

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a 64 R2 that replace my damaged 73 RQB1913 during a Fl to NJ transport. Regarding the Paxton, where the dip stick pulls out, is that hole used to add fluid? Where do I acquire the proper fluid as the book calls for transmission type A? Also, is there a drain if I want to do a fluid change?

thanks, Mark

Mark,

Not sure how to drain the supercharger, but when needed, I add fluid using a small funnel (bought at a kitchen supply shop) inserted at the dipstick port. I use DEXRON II, as that is what my mechanic recommended as the equivalent to type A....the label on the bottle should confirm this.

My supercharger was making some noise even with fluid topped off and it was found I needed new drive balls. The balls were replaced but the noise returned even louder about 1500 or 2000 miles later. Apparently, the supercharger unit is due for a rebuild which will address the problem: a worn inner ball race. (not bad... 105,000 miles/44 years before a rebuild was needed). Rebuild is about $750-$1000. As I'm short of the funds to get the job done at this time, my mechanic removed the balls and the impellor, rendering the supercharger inoperative to allow the car to be driven without further wear until the unit can be rebuilt. A word of caution: with the impellor and balls out, the unit blows some fluid into the carb, which gets burned in the cylinders. The fluid must be checked and topped off every 100 miles or so; there probably a risk of fouled plugs, but no problems yet after 1200 miles. Some soot observed in the exhaust though.

• 14 years later...

I recall draining the Paxton with my dad in a former Avanti we had. We used an air compressor and a sprayer nozzle, one of the nozzles which also has a suction opening beneath. Attach a vinyl tube to the suction side that fits into the blower's dipstick tube, and put the tube into the blower oil.

Get a bucket and a rag. Put your hand and the sprayer nozzle partway in the bucket and cover the opening with the rag. Spray away.