1985 dash light

cdn56J

I believe it's one of two things...it's either your high beam indicator or it's telling you the electric choke is on. Avanti's of that vintage seem to have several dash lights that are unmarked. After the first or second owner the handbooks seem to get lost and the information within along with it.

I have a 1985 Avanti with the small red light between the tach and the speedo that is on all the time.

What is the purpose for this light? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car?

On my '87 Avanti the lower red light tells when the electric choke is on. High beam is blue light higher on dash. My manual shows the same thing.

Jim Wood

Hi All

My 88 convertible also has the red light on, it is the choke light according to the manual, and the wiring diagram shows a relay in the circuit. With the light on I believe that the relay may be bad, does anyone know where to find this relay and how to identify it on the car. ?????? Mr T

Follow the wires from the electric choke and the dash light and see where they meet. That should be the relay. Since most things with Avanti's don't come easy, I'd expect to find the relay somewhere under or behind the dash where only a six year old has hands small enough to work with it.

Follow the wires from the electric choke and the dash light and see where they meet. That should be the relay. Since most things with Avanti's don't come easy, I'd expect to find the relay somewhere under or behind the dash where only a six year old has hands small enough to work with it.

According to the 'official' GM Chevrolet Monte Carlo (1988) electrical diagnosis and service manual - this is:

Engine oil/choke warning indicator (V8 vin G and V8 vin H). If this indicator stays on with the engine running >

Check for proper oil level and pressure.

Disconnect the choke heater connector and observe the indicator with the ignition in RUN. If the indicator is on, check the LT BLU (78) and TAN (31) wires for a short to ground. If the indicator is off, check for battery voltage at terminal B of the engine oil pressure switch. If battery voltage is present, replace the engine oil pressure switch. If battery voltage is not present, check BRN (250) wire for an open.

This manual also has the diagrams (at least that GM used). Here's what I'm looking at - Choke heater is wired to the engine oil pressure switch. 3 other wires come off this oil press switch. 1 to computer command control (idle speed control). 2 to 'C/H' fuse 20amp "hot in run". 3 to the ACTUAL indicator light.

Bill Daly

• 3 weeks later...

The red light indicates the choke is on. On my 85 the relay is in the engine compartment on the passangers side hanging from four wires :brown,blue,green and red w black stripe. The NAPPA number is AR 740. Regards Bob

Hi All

Bob you are correct the choke relay is on the passenger side inner fender, on my 88 convertible the red light was on, and the choke wasn't working. I pulled the connector out and jumped the c & d termials, this gave me 12 volts to the choke and the choke was again working and the red light goes out, my relay has 5 wires going to it with a couple of numbers on it, one set in white 14078924 and another one in black 7124, Im not sure of the purpose of the relay but will track down an auto electrican and find out. Mr T

From the numbers it sounds like a standard Bosch style relay, you can get them at any auto parts store. I would check the power sources, these relays are pretty bullet proof. The diagram should be molded into the relay. You can try another relay from the car or from another car, their all the same relay if the 5 spades match or check the diagram molded into them.

Jim Wood

Hi All

Bob you are correct the choke relay is on the passenger side inner fender, on my 88 convertible the red light was on, and the choke wasn't working. I pulled the connector out and jumped the c & d termials, this gave me 12 volts to the choke and the choke was again working and the red light goes out, my relay has 5 wires going to it with a couple of numbers on it, one set in white 14078924 and another one in black 7124, Im not sure of the purpose of the relay but will track down an auto electrican and find out. Mr T