1969 Avanti II Power Steering Control Valve

Sean Mulholland

• 1 month later...

My 78 Avanti II also leaks abit from the PS unit. I use stop leak every now and then. Do not want to pull the unit and have someone rebuild. Too much time, $ and a pain to do. Noticed my Pitman unit "moves" when the sterring wheel is turned. A friend told me this causing the crappy loose steering. We tightened the steering box and it helped a little bit. But, the Parm may be the reason. I hope this Pittman arm unit is easy to tightn up. Already replaced the front shocks, rebuilt the king pins and tie rods replaced 2 years ago. It still steers crappy. This is my last hope on finding what's wrong. Any other ideas from someone would be helpfull.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am repling to such an old post, but I may have an answer to it. I removed my pitman arm last summer and found that if you loosen up the drivers side motor mount and jack up the engine a few inches you can get the arm off. I do not remember what type of removing tool I used but it might have just been a large fork. It wasn't as hard as it might sound to remove the bolts from the motor mounts. Good luck

Glenn

1975 Avanti