Head light covers

James Bond

At the last "Cruise Night" I was at , a person told me that they thought that they were supposed to be covers on my headlights. Although I noticed the rim inside the headlight . I never thought anything about it. Is there a headlight cover? If there are, where do I get them? Thanks alot!

Hi From what I know the 89 model's did not have len's, but they were on the 88's as mine is an 88 and has the outer lens cover.

regards, Tony.

My brand new '88 did not have them - I called the factory and they said these were not allowed in certain States (?). I told them I didn't care - I wanted them. They sent them to me, no charge. If the '89 has the square 'ring' that 'attaches' to the headlight assembly with 4 long screws then you can add the lens behind it. You will also need one each rubber gasket that fits around the plastic lens for a seal. Available at Studebaker Intl.

Bill

Your car has them. They cover up the adjusting screws on the headlights. They also cover the bracket holding the head lights in place.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2809906/3

Mr. Bond, Mr. James Bond:

If you still insist on these plastic headlight cover/lenses - I'm pretty sure it can be done. I'm thinking the factory decided to manufacture cheaper/faster and sometimes that's OK (like the windows behind the doors) my understanding is they "sealed" them right to the body - no hinges no leaks no wind noise, etc. With your headlights - instead of using 4 long screws to attach the headlight (square) surround to the body, apparently they choose "velcro". Once again, I'm thinking the actual body around the headlight hole is the same as it has always been with a detented rim around the opening. This rim had 4 holes in it and screws were attached using 'speed nuts' I think they're called. All of this is in the Studebaker manuals and I can provide you with the specific items if you wish. You just have to DRILL 4 holes in exactly the right places - I would think on outer trim ring would make a good template as this item is the last to be attached and already has the "Official" holes in it. The lens, gaskets, rings and even the surround that covers the headight bucket are all available from Studebaker Intl. Note: I may not be using the correct names for these parts right now, but they do exist. Price? Haven't got time to look-up right now but you should be looking at Lens's, trim rings, gaskets - maybe a little over $200. The screws and speed nuts available at any good hardware store. I know I like mine - and I would think it is more aerodynamic as well.

The name is Daly, Bill Daly