87 Avanti door rubber

IndyJimW

After looking at the door rubber on a '87 Monte Carlo and seeing that it was the same I talked to my local Chevrolet dealer and found that they were still available. I had them order the drivers side for me at a cost of $142.00. This is the seal attached to the body that seals the drivers window. I also picked up all the parts to replace the inner and outter window sweeps from Restoration Specialities, will have pictures and Part #'s later.

Jim Wood

After looking at the door rubber on a '87 Monte Carlo and seeing that it was the same I talked to my local Chevrolet dealer and found that they were still available. I had them order the drivers side for me at a cost of $142.00. This is the seal attached to the body that seals the drivers window. I also picked up all the parts to replace the inner and outter window sweeps from Restoration Specialities, will have pictures and Part #'s later.

Jim Wood

Jim:

I don't/can't understand HOW a Monte door opening could/would EVER have anything to do with Avanti. I understand the Monte was the 'donor' chassis-drivetrain (body-off) etc. How can it be that simple? If so, would it mount in the same fashion (however that is) and is the price better than what Avanti suppliers are asking? Mine is an '88 coupe.

Bill Daly

• 2 weeks later...

My '87 Avanti has no window frames and doesn't use the older Avanti upper door seals that glue on, the seal is one piece and fits in a channel. The Monte seal is longer on both ends and it looks like Avanti cut it shorter on both ends to fit. The seal is just a long "L" so when you place the molded corner of the "L" in the upper rear of the door opening the rest of the seal fits in the channel and you trim to lenght.

The other part that I'm looking for is the rubber piece that screws onto the door jamb to seal the rear of the window, its the same as a Monte Carlo.

Seems smart to me to use EVERY part that you can from the donor car to cut costs.

Jim Wood